Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here and frustrated with dr's

jessconnor26jjessconnor26 Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello everyone I'm new here so please bare with me. I am so frustrated by dr's telling me different things, brushing me off and the fact that I've dealt with this for so long. So I'm trying to do my own research about my problems.

About 9 years ago I found lumps under the skin in my lower back/hip area. At first I just had one on each side. A MRI was done and the dr said that they were just calcium deposits and not to worry about them. For the next few years my back and hips started to hurt more but I just dealt with it. I then started going to see dr after dr about my back pain and they just kept telling me that I sprained my back and to rest.

They have done x-rays in the past but nothing other than that, and they said the xrays looked fine. A couple months ago I went to urgent care for lower back and right hip pain so bad that I could hardly walk. The dr there felt the lumps that I have and said they are lymph nodes that are swollen in my back and that everyone has them. Funny tho that no one I know has these things. He told me that I sprained my back and to rest.

Yesterday I went to the dr with the same problem and she said it's sciatica pain. I told her about the lumps in my back and she said they are just knots in my muscle. But in the last 9 years the original lumps I had have now tripled in size and I have a bunch more around the original ones. I didn't realize you could have knots in your muscles for years. She said the knots are probably compressing my sciatica nerve and causing pain. I told her that I also have moments where I am walking around and my legs suddenly go numb and weak and I feel like my legs are going to fall out from under me.

She is sending me for an xray and then wants me to have an MRI and possibly go to a neuromuscular dr to work the knots out. She said at 29 years old i'm too young to be having these problems. My blood pressure was also high yesterday but I'm sure that was due to being in pain for the last couple days. She did give me flexirol and celebrex but so far the celebrex is not helping. But she told me that pain killers will not help me. If anyone has any advice or insight I'd appreciate it. I'm willing to try anything and I want this problem taken care of so I don't have to rely on any meds. But for now the meds i'm on aren't helping and i'm still in pain. Thanks so much for reading this if you got this far.

• I'm glad your Dr. will be sending you for an MRI and get so more information about what's going on with your back and about your legs suddenly giving out. I have a post I have to update about the same thing that has happened to me. I'm a lot older though but think back issues can affect anyone at any age. I hope you get some answers soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • jessconnor26 said:
    She said at 29 years old i'm too young to be having these problems.

to the SH Forum! We spineys couldn't find a better place to vent our frustrations. We know how frustrating spine issues can be, and we've all been there done that when it comes to going through diagnosis and treatment of back pain as well as trying to cope with it.

Despite what your doctor said, 29 is not too young to have back pain. Some of the posts on this Forum have come from people in your age group. They can especially relate to what you're been going through, and even though I'm older my heart breaks at knowing that some young people too can have back pain; you want to be active but can't be.

Good thing you're getting an updated MRI, and I sure hope the knots and pain can be taken care of soon. >:D< >:D< >:D< , Ess

• Thank you to you both for your responses. I have to go see my primary dr tomorrow to have her send me for the MRI and neuromuscular dr so we shall see where that goes. The urgent care dr told me to tell my dr to send me for those.

I'm hoping for answers soon and some relief but not getting my hopes up. I called the urgent care dr today and told her that the celebrex isn't working and she told me to keep taking it and try to deal with the pain. But after 4 nights of very little sleep I just want a break from the pain. I'm even sleeping on the couch so I dont keep my husband up all night. Ugh!

I'm still not sure that these lumps are just knots in the muscle cause that seems like a really long time but then again I'm no dr. I asked her if they could be lipomas and she said no. Thank you for giving me words of encouragement! And thanks to anyone else who might still be helpful!

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Start a pain journal. Keep track of your daily pain so the next time you see your doctor sit him or her down and say this is what my life has been like for the last month. Explain that this has gone on far too long and it is time to figure out what is going on. Tell them your pain is not being controlled. Demand answers to your medical issues. Dont demand medication allow the docs to make that decision but let them know what all you have tried and what has not worked. Explain how this is affecting your life. I would say you have a good start by getting a MRI. That should give you and your docs some answers. Tell the doc that you feel it is unacceptable to be left the way you are with no answers and could they please help you. Good luck
  • Welcome to the site :-) I'm sorry that you're in pain. I also hate when doctors says that someone is "too young" to be feeling what they are. I was told that when I was 23 that I was "too young to be in the pain" that I was in. I'm 26 now and since then have had to have epidural shots, plenty of physical therapy, and two spine fusions.
    It takes time and it's especially hard when you're "younger", we kind've have to prove ourselves more with our back issues and be advocates for our own pain and be our own detectives. Maybe your primary can give you something to atleast help you sleep. I currently can't take any NSAIDS cause I am so fresh out of my 2nd fusion, but before it my PM dr had me on baclofen at 10mg to help me sleep at night. This site has been extremely helpful and people here are very supportive. Any questions, feel free to ask and know you're not alone, there are many of us out here :-)
  • And I explained to her what was going on and how frustrated I was that no one was listening to me. She told me that she wanted me to get the xray so she could order the MRI. She said that she was sorry that so many have made me feel bad about hurting so much, and that she would help me figure it out so I could get better.

She felt the lumps in my back and confirmed that they are in fact lipoma's, like I originally thought. She said they are probably pushing on the nerves because she said that a couple of the lipomas are big and need to be removed no questions asked. But she still wants the MRI done to make sure that there aren't any other issues that could be causing my legs to go numb.

I finally felt justified and relieved that finally someone was listening to me. I have an orthopedic appt on december 21st for the removal of a ganglion cyst in my right wrist and my primary wants me to ask him if he can remove the lipomas as well. She said they are along my iliac crest tho so they may send me to a spine dr. Especially because I have a couple big ones and a bunch of small ones.

She did tell me to continue with the celebrex and she gave me some tramadol to help with the pain in the meantime. I appreciate everyones advice and kind words and I'm sure this isn't the only hurdle ahead of me. I'm gonna get the xrays today so she can get the MRI ordered and I know that will tell us more especially if there are more issues with my back. I'm sure I will be around and will probably ask more questions. Thank you to everyone who commented and gave advice!
This discussion has been closed.