Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tomorrow is the big day, ALIF 2 levels

robgz66rrobgz66 Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone tomorrow I am scheduled for L4-L5 L5-S1 fusion surgery. been working hard the last few weeks to get "everything" done but I still feel like I am leaving things undone. Like others here I have been living with numbness, back and leg pain on both sides for the past 10 years. Sometimes it is debilitating most days bearable with meds.

Anyone else have the feeling of dread and excitement at the same time??

The hospital I am going to only does spine surgery so I know I am in good hands and the doctors have done this procedure almost 1000 times. the place is very nice and allows family there with you, and the rooms almost look like hotel rooms. Dr says I should be out on Friday but it depends on how I do.

Thanks everyone for listening.

• Good luck to you. That pain and numbness should be pretty well gone when you wake from surgery unless you've been numb for quite some time. Sounds like you are in great hands. I wish you all the best. :)

• One tip for you when you are getting ready to go home. if it is cold where you live, make sure you wrap up in a blanket before going out to your car and stay wrapped up. Shivering is a bit "uncomfortable" on a freshly sliced spine!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Rob,

Good luck to you on your surgery. We can never be fully prepared but sounds like you have worked hard at it. So what is not done, well it can wait till you feel up to. Follow all the doctors restrictions and soon enough, hopefully your 10 year issue will be a thing of the distant past. Good luck and post when you are able, with a update.
  • you all the best today! Glad that you got things ready for when you return home.

Completely understand the feeling of excitement and dread at the same time. I will be going in for my second back surgery in February(seven months after first) and am very hopeful that it will help considerably, but am still nervous.

Glad to hear that you will be at a hospital that stirictly deals with spines and have done so many surgeries.

Look forward to hearing an update from you when you are able.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • And I am sure many more to go, all in all I would say I am doing good, may be pushing a little much walked probably a qtr mile today and even though it is 45 out side I was covered in sweat, legs felt like jello. Took some meds and laid down for a little bit and much better now. Have noticed when it is getting close to time I start getting hot!! Not much of a temp, maybe 99.5 but it feels like it is summer. Just need to listen to my body and do what it is yelling at me to do.

At this rate I think I will be good to return to part day work on the 19th but will play it by ear. Wife keeps telling me by the end of this I should be twice as strong as I was before due to using different muscles to do old things.

Thanks for the kind words and I hope I can return the favor.