Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Survey SAYS....

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain
NS is happy with my progress in terms of recovery from the surgery. I told him about my official AS diagnosis, and he still had the nerve to say, "just because you are HLA B27+ and have evidence of sacroiliitis, it doesn't necessarily mean AS." Oh well, I have 2 other doctors and a NP, all of whom are in agreeance about my diagnosis based on tests, symptoms, and family history.

The terrible, unrelenting pain I had in my t-spine following the surgery has calmed down quite a bit. I went through PT and am currently on NSAIDs and Prednisone, all of which have helped, at least with that particular area. I still get a lot of discomfort in my SI joints and low back, as well as various joints throughout my body. I have swelling and pain in my hands and feet, but the Prednisone has helped quite a bit. I go back to the rheumy on the 21st to talk about other meds for the AS.

As far as the NS is concerned, I had a repeat MRI on 11/16. He said it doesn't appear changed, but it still shows several herniations at T5-11. None of them appear to be touching a nerve or compressing the spine, though, and my surgical site (T8-10) looks fine. He said given the pain I had afterwards and my recent diagnosis, he'd like to see me back in 6 months to see how I'm doing. As long as things are going well from a surgical standpoint, he will sign off and I'll just follow up as needed. Yay!

Other than that, been working a lot. I'm thankful to have found a desk job that I love that allows me to still function. It's nice to have that income coming in again and to feel productive.

• also make a post over in the back/neck surgery area about your surgical success and being able to move forward. There needs to be some more positive threads in there.

Good to hear at least some things get resolved and the most important part, in your words.

"I'm thankful to have found a desk job that I love that allows me to still function. It's nice to have that income coming in again and to feel productive."

• You've been through a lot, so it's really good to hear that you've made such progress. Don't let your NS bother you about the AS diagnosis. Women are affected quite differently from men. My surgeon also said he didn't think I have AS (as opposed to 2 rheumatologists). Within 2 weeks after the appointment where he said that I started having terrible heel pain (a common issue in AS).

Keep the progress going and keep us up to date on how you're doing!
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • It's so good to hear you're feeling a lot better. Your NS sounds like a "go strictly by the textbooks" type when it comes to AS. Some years ago I had a doctor of that mindset(different specialty), and needless to say was very relieved when a different doctor offered the treatment I needed. Good thing you fell into the hands of your present rheumy and your other NS was on the same page. >:D< , Ess
  • Yes, I will make sure to post an update in the surgery group as well. After all of my negative posts over the past few months, it's nice to be able to post something positive.

Karen - that heel pain is terrible! I started with the heel pain over the past month or so. My hands have also been painful and swollen, which the NP at my rheumy's office saw for herself. And my rheumy saw that my heels were inflamed when I went about a month ago. I think my NS is fixated on spinal fusion being the #1 sign of AS, so when I say AS, he automatically thinks of that. However, he apparently doesn't realize that many people with AS don't reach the fusion stage, and that AS can still be diagnosed without the bamboo spine. He kept saying, "I don't think you'll develop AS," and I really had to bite my tongue. I figure I have had a rheumy, his NP, and another NS all say I have AS, and my symptoms match to a T. Plus, the diagnostic criteria does not include fusion of the spine...just inflammatory back pain, which I have, among other things. So yeah, I am taking his words with a grain of salt. At least I have a rheumy who is knowledgable and about AS. The other clue that my NS is ignorant about AS is when he said to me that there was no point in testing for it because there is no treatment. Um yes, there IS treatment you genius! He's a great NS when it comes to disc and spine issues, but he definitely has no knowledge of rheumatic diseases.

• It's good you've been diagnosed...that's one step in the battle. I hope you can get the inflammation in check and stop the flare up.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
This discussion has been closed.