Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is it time for a mobility walker?

LoniLLoni Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain
I am constantly in pain. Even 5 minutes standing and walking.. the sciatic nerves begin throbbing. I was born with grade 2-3 ( depending on how stressed the muscles are at any given time ) Spondy, and because of the pain, it has greatly reduced my activity. There are days when my legs are just to weak to get out of bed. Legs will give away and I've fallen so many times. My Doctors believe that my weight caused the spondy but I had the spondy way before the extra weight. It's a constant loop. Plus.. nearing the age of 50.. one more year to go and I'm at my wits end. I"m tired of hurting when I go out, or even try to clean my kitchen. I recently saw someone using one of the walkers with a seat and I got to thinking.. if I could use one of those.. I could rest when I needed, and be more active when I was able..

How do you all deal with chronic back pain? I'm on 2 pain killers now.. but it just isn't enough..

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are suffering with chronic pain.. we are not that far off in age and i know how the aches and pains can really add up as we age.. my mother in law lives with me and she uses a walker with a seat.. it gives her alot greater mobiltity and the opportunity to do things she often just can't stand up to do.. she uses it in the kitchen alot and also in the bathroom..it can even be used for walks around the neighborhood... make sure you get one with adjustable handle bars for height and a comfortable seat where your feet can touch the ground safetly.. also, make sure there are brakes!!! i hope that helps you alittle with your decision as you consider a walker.. good luck to you! i hope this gives you some needed pain relief as well.Jenny :)
  • Loni, I purchased one of those seat type walkers this spring. I got it at Costco and I want to say it was around a hundred bucks. Thank god I havent needed it for the last few months, but this spring and summer it was the only way I was able to get out of bed and go for a walk or go out shopping with my family. To be able to sit down when your back and legs cant take it anymore is priceless and the fact it got me out of bed and my house was well worth it. This style is much bigger than the non seat walker, like you see with tennis balls on the two front feet, but if you have a place for it in your car and you are able to get it in and out yourself I would highly recommend this style.

I got mine the day I went to physical therapy appoint being pushed in a wheelchair, I was doing so poorly after the 40 minute car ride there I could hardly stand up due to pain. My therapist took one look at me and said I had to go out and buy a walker that day, she sent me home with a loaner. I hope I never have to use mine again, but I'm glad I have it around.....Mitch
  • I use a cane and when I go walking on the opposite side of my painful left leg and it helps but I was just thinking I may get a walker also with a seat. A real rugged one that can go out in the ice of winter. But it hasn't even snowed where I am but it may one day since I live in Canada.

I did use a loaner from my Mother's friend for 2 weeks and loved that I could just sit instead of going on a curb and having a hard time standing up.

If I'm going on a bus though I would bring just my cane. If both your legs are affected then you should get a walker and usually there's a 30 day guarantee if you want to bring it back to the store. I'm 51 and have been using a cane since I was 48. Keep us posted how you're doing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • literally...you have a good attitude being open to different options to help you get around. If the walker with the seat keep you safe and enable you to be more mobil then I think that's good.

Charry mentioned using a cane in the snow. My daughter has fibromyalgia and sometimes needs to use a cane. She's a college student in a hilly, snowy area. She found an attachment for her cane which added some sort of cleats that had more stability in the snow.

I am struggling right now with increased pain...you're not alone.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thank you everyone.. I do use a service dog for a number of tasks.. and when I stand up.. he counter balances me. I can pull up on his harness and his weight alone keeps me up until I get my bearings. I just can't sit on him when I need to rest. I'm trying to find a way to be more active, but stay out of pain. I'm afraid if I bring this up to my Dr. that he will think I"m just trying to be lazy. I will look more into this walker idea.. anything to make life easier..
  • edited 01/16/2014 - 8:07 AM
    Hi everyone, I'm in need a new mobility walker. I've been looking online to see what is available. can anyone recommend any other website for mobility walkers?

Link removed, solicitation not permitted.Please read the Forum rules
    Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team

• I'm afraid I have got to the stage when I need the whole shooting match. Bigger car, fitted hoist, powerchair, special height loo. But the best buy has been the rollator with a seat. An absolute must have! Equal bilateral support when walking, even around the house, with the added advantage that you can sit down comfortably whenever you feel the need. The best thing you could get. Best wishes.
  • I have a walker I used for a few months when I was getting facet injections in 2010. It was the only way I could work and go to stores. I could not stand in lines without being in agony, so that seat saved me a lot of extra pain.

I like mine - it's electric blue and I call her Catherine. I moved Catherine from Canada to the U.S. when I took hardly any of my possessions. Catherine was there for me and helped a lot. :)
    (see profile for medical details)

I *heart* my TENS unit.