Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

2 level ACDF (C5-6-7) scheduled for Wednesday!

PH MomPPH Mom Posts: 80
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Thank you again to all whom have posted on this site. Your suggestions, encouragement, and input have been invaluable! I am 4 days away from surgery...nervous, but at peace. Monday & Tuesday will find me (with my husband's help) deep cleaning, washing the sheets/towels, and doing last minute shopping, preparing my pudding and jello. I feel so much more prepared than I ever would have without all the comments I have read here. I wouldn't have thought about button front tops, or known about the need for throat lozenges...so thanks for that!

Reading these posts have made me feel less scared about the post-op experience, and I am going into surgery with a positive outlook! I can't wait for the pain and numbness from my shoulder to my fingertips to be gone!

Thank you again - I'll update after surgery.

Jan

advertisement

Comments

• Jan,

Good luck with surgery, sounds as though you are very prepared and have a positive out look on the surgery. Whatever doesn't get finished well it can wait till you have recovered. Good luck on surgery and post back as soon as you can to let us know how your doing.
  • I'm so glad that the members of SH have helped you feel comfortable with surgery and what you need post-op. I know it will go fine and we'll be here waiting for you when you have post-op questions or just want to talk. Recovery can get very boring after you start feeling better but still can't do anything but walk.

Take care and don't overdo anything. I also got all my ducks in a row with regards to housework before surgery and it was nice to come home to a clean house, but like Tam said, whatever doesn't get done can wait.

I look forward to reading your first post-op post and see how things went and how you're doing.

Cathie
  • advertisement
  • Best wishes Wednesday! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on your recovery. Love 'n >:D< >:D< >:D<

• I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday. Hoping for a successful surgery and that you will be telling how much better you feel very soon.

• :))) Hi Jan. I had acdf c5-6 & c6-7 surgery Nov. 25th 2011. I had been terrified. God blessed me and I woke up in recovery with no pain. I still have no pain. My neurosurgeon did not have me wear any collar. I've done great. Before surgery I had terrible pain, and it showed on my face. Now, almost 3 weeks later, my face looks younger. It is wonderful to be pain free. I still have numbness in my fingers on my right hand. I hear that takes months to return to normal. After being under for 4.5 hrs. it taken awhile for my throat to get back to normal. At first it hurt to swallow. Can't complain about that. Another benefit, that surprised me is that I no longer have urinary issues. It's great to have the freedom to not have to be running to the bathroom all the time. May our Heavenly Father bless you Jan. <:P
  • advertisement

• and hoping that you are recovering well and feeling comfortable.
  • :) Hi Jan,
    I'm praying for you. Your in my thoughts and heart.
  • I imagine you've had your surgery-how to you feel?
  • Hi! I am doing pretty well following surgery. The swallowing has been the most difficult, but I am able to get some soup down so at least that is more nutrition that jello, pudding, and ice cream! Shoulder pain is getting better, and I've been out walking a few times. Only wearing the collar when I walk outside and if I go in the car. Slept in the recliner the first 2 nights, but spoke to the surgeon yesterday (yes, he called on a Saturday) and he really encouraged me to sleep in a bed...which I did. Pain is controlled, alternating between ice and heat (for the shoulders). Took a shower yesterday which felt great. My surgeon thinks my ROM will be better (eventually) than before surgery...NO tingling at ALL in my right arm since surgery, but still some numbness in tip of thumb and first 2 fingers on right hand (which he said is normal) and some shoulder pain...which gets worse if I'm on the computer. :) So, this is short and sweet...my hubby is waiting for me to get off (he set the timer for 5 mins...lol).

Thank you for your prayers, well wishes, and encouraging words. You all have blessed me beyond measure.

love,
    Jan

• It is lovely to hear from you. It sounds like things have gone well and that the surgery did what it set out to do.
    Now it is over to you for the healing.
    Follow all the rules and take good care of yourself.
    I'll look forward to hearing more about your recovery.
    >:D< >:D< >:D<

advertisement