Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new to spinal stenosis

caincaccainca Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My husband was diagnosed with sppinal stenosis a couple of weeks ago. Back in August, he started off with pain in his back, then got to the point within a month that it was difficult for him to walk even half-a-block before he had to sit down, which helped. After lots of tests & persistence, he got the diagnosis w/ss for C3, C4 area. My question is this, has anyone experienced the following difficulties all due to spinal stenosis: 1) muscle atrophy-he has lost about all muscle tone & maybe 15 lbs.
2) overall weakness w/pain across his shoulders & neck mainly (which he was putting heat on it but discovered ice works best, 3) his voice has changed, not hoarse, but just very weak sounding, especially in the morning, 4) got a UTI-which now has screwed up his cortizone shot procedure for the pain because you have to be clear of anti-biotics 2 wks. before the procedure, and 5) intolerant to heat..came out of the shower this morning & began sweating profusely, then had a difficult breathing. I feel helpless & scared for him because this is all so devasting & has drastically changed his life in a matter of months. So I would appreciate any feedback....I just thinking that there is something else going on with him with all of his symptoms, like they missed something!

• Hi Cainca, you will find this a great place to learn about spinal problems and for support from others who are having similar problems to your husband.

What has your husband's doctor said. Is he under a neuro or ortho spine surgeon?

Certainly cervical stenosis can cause muscle atrophy, but I don't know about weight loss.
    The weakness and pain across his shoulders and neck can also be a symptom.
    If he has compression on his cord, then that can cause an intolerance to heat, I think, though not completely sure. Do a search on here of google it. I think if his autonomic nerve system is affected that can affect breathing too. I would certainly let a doctor know about that though as it could be serious. Sometimes cervical problems can cause voice problems, and UTI could be caused by not emptying the bladder properly which could also be a symptom. How is his temperature?

I am not medically trained and so cannot advice you, but I can just get you to think about questions to ask your doctor, based on things I have read myself.

What treatment is your doctor suggesting?
    Have you had more than one opinion?

It is certainly possible to blame various symptoms on spine problems and then discover that there is something else going on.

• Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! We just went through his general practioner, which he referred us to a pain management doctor. I was at first really encouraged about the idea of relieving pain with the cortizone shots, but after reading entry after entry on this forum, it doesn't sound encouraging! The UTI is clearing up, I get that, urine backed up in the bladder can cause this! Still not sure about the weight loss other than muscle has weight, so when he lost so much of his muscle tone, hence the weight loss. I want him to get a second opinion at this point, just to make sure all has been covered! His general doc did alot of relflex type tests on him, when it was discovered that his right side has less reflex then his left! Anyway, what an eye-opening experience...the good thing about this is that he has quit smoking, drinking his given beers & coffee, all within 3 weeks! Thanks again, Cathy