Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

34yo disabled veteran with strange new MRI findings

DixiechickDDixiechick Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain
Charry, Huggy, Mouse, Backpain01, and any other who takes a moment to be supportive, take time to answer any questions, just to care - or anyone who is having the same problems and offer their stories. I am going through a hard time right now. For the last 7-8 years I have been in pretty bad pain, sever at times and I am only 34. I have some 'wtf' MRI results lately and I am just dumbfounded. Let me just say that I am 80% disabled from the military - rated by the Veterns Hospital. I was in for 10 years before they medically retired me. I was having some bowel issues and a Naval Surgeon decided I would be bennifitted from having my entire large intestines removed... (my back issue I will mention shortly) That was supposed to 'fix' me... Only to a few months later find out that I was going to be medically retired since it only mad my problems worse. Gasticalyy speaking I am super jacked up, I have not large intestines, suffer from chronic ulcers and just found out I have barretts esophogus - which is a dysplasia for the cells in the esophogus, which is highly cancer causing. I have Raynards which leaves my extremities (hands and feet) an aray of Blue to Red and severly cold and painful all the time. During the last 7-8 years I have been chronicly complaining to any Dr or person who will listen that my back hurts, but let's facce it, when you have that many things wrong with you, people either get sick of listening, don't believe or just don't care. About 6 years ago I had an MRI on my back that showed DDD in T4-5-S1 and I have periodically have had nerve blocks for that. All this time as well I have been having midback pain as well, much worse than my low back, and again, rejection. I don't blame people, it gets old hearing someone whine.
I finally stated seeing a pain management Dr who put me on Butrans patch - It is the 2nd week and I am on the highest dose 20 mg.... and it has relieved so much pain, it is great... except for the mid back pain, which is still pretty stong at times... I have to laydown to get any relief.
Here is what my MRI states
T9-T10 anterior shallow disc osteophyte complex (lots of bone spurs) and mild type 2 Modic change (which has something to do with the area that holds bone marrow which has many fractures and from what I looked up is directly linked to sever chronic pain, that is never escapeable, it may ease but never ever go away and nothhing can fix or even help that - it is the closest thing to seeing pain on an MRI as you can get.)
It also states I have levoscoliosis - which is scoliosis that is curved toward the right.
also I have quote 'T11-L1 Chronic mild anterior wedge deformities'
As well as Diffuse mild disc desiccation with moderate desiccation at T9/10.
T9/T10 intrforaminal protrusions causingt left exit narrowing
Lower thorasic spondylosis

I am only 34 guys and a large portion of this can't be treated or fixed. Yes DDD can have nerve blocks and surgery but the other stuff. Well, I am flat out scared.

Before this I applied for Social Security with my stomach issues and even tho my DD214 states Permanent disabled - they turned me down twice... one was an appeal.

You guys are the experts, some of you are anyway, Are my new
MRI finding enough, you think, to get Social security. I am not greedy but also I haven't worked in almost 2 years during this due to physical issues (sometimes mental - this iis overwhelming you know) Actually this didn't start out as a social security question... it just crossed my mind. I am just wondering if any one has the same problems as my me... I am just floored. Can you offer something to me, as in advice?

• Not sure about the social security thing, but just wanted to say I am sorry you are going through all of this. I am young as well...29 years old with a lot of health problems. I was just diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (AS for short), plus I have DDD, multiple herniations as an indirect result of the AS, high blood pressure, a heart condition which puts me at greater risk for dangerous arrhythmias, GERD, etc. I can totally relate to what you said about people who get sick of hearing about it, stop caring, or simply don't believe you when you say you are hurting. Being young and having all of these health problems, people have a hard time believing that you are sick...especially because these are invisible ailments.

That being said, you cannot get hung up on that. The fact is...you ARE young and you DO have these issues to deal with, but that doesn't mean you can't still live your life to the fullest. When I was first began experiencing all of these health problems, I became wrapped up in this "why me" mentality. Since being diagnosed with AS, I realize that it is what it is. Yes, it sucks that I'm 29 and dealing with issues that most 29-year olds don't have to deal with, but I can either sulk about it or fight it with everything I have. And I came to the conclusion that I will NOT let this bring me down. BECAUSE I am young, I know that I have a lot of life left, and I want to continue living my life to the fullest.

In any case, I didn't mean for this to be a ramble. As for the social security, most people are denied the first time. I would recommend hiring a lawyer and go from there. If you have a lawyer backing you up, your chances of winning are much better. I had initially filed for SSD because I was working as a nurse and could no longer perform my duties. However, I was able to find a desk job that allows me to continue working, despite my physical disabilities. You may also want to look into vocational rehab. Many areas have them and they can help get you into PT/OT and find training/jobs that you may be able to perform.
  • Hi. Sorry about all your issues, You said mri was done 6 years ago? Or the info you posted is a more recent mri?

We cant actualy read your mri because we of course are just patients ourself,

Having more then just 1 condition gone wrong can surely put a bad spin on any medical situation, I had the ulcer a few years back posibly from meds and stress and it for sure made things much worse even just to have to take pain medications,

As if the spine pain was not already enough suffering. I had to be treated with antibiotics because with the ulcer i also had the h pilory bug which i guess many times come with ulcer, Took forever to get beter, no fried foods and had to realy watch what you eat,

I searched everything under the sun to find something that helps speed up recovery because i was already on my 3 rd round of antibiotics,

I found umf manuka honey and read a lot on it, Then asked my dr what he thought about it, To my suprise he uses it himself the umf 25+. Manuka honey for digestive health, Well i jumped on it, if its good enough for my dr then sure good enough for me,

Its not cheap but might be worth reading up on it if you have digestive issues,
    It helped with my healing with the ulcer, i probably should still be using it but as i said its not cheap, most health food stores i could not even find it,

Hope maybe this helps, About the ssdi. Yes as was said. Lawyer lawyer lawyer,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...for all you're going through. It must be quite the balancing act to try to keep all "issues" under control. That is a full time job in itself.

I used a lawyer for the disability. No money out of your pocket for that and I truly believe it gets more attention when lawyer working with or for you.
    I used a lawyer right out of the gate and rec'd okay for disability within 6 months. It was such a relief because as you, I just couldn't work, but still needed to pay rent and was used to eating.

It is a lonely place with this chronic issues.. and many don't understand. I lost a lot of friends and many of my family don't understand..so..I get it.
    This site has been a God send to me and I hope you feel the same support and understanding.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing and know you are no longer alone. Take care!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I live in Canada and had to apply for Government pension also. I sent in all my test results, MRI reports and filled out their long questionnaire of how long can I sit for, walking with a cane for 10 minutes then have to rest and too painful to stand in one spot to do dishes or brush my teeth even. My Dr. also filled out the long form and was very thorough.

I do have an abnormal EMG on my legs which they asked me about and think that was one reason why I was accepted but because of the age 50 when I applied I knew my chances were better.

DDD is now accepted as well as the diagnosis of Chronic Pain as well as bowel surgery you had that still causes pain is very significant. I would reapply if I were you and be very descriptive in your activities and send in all your MRIs and x-rays, surgical report you can get from the hospital.

I also use Manuka honey for digestive issues since I have diverticulosis and pain like IBD. I hope you can get accepted with all the pain you're having. Do you have any numbness tingling in your leg at all? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks so much for the kind words, My MRI for DDD of my L4-5,S1 was 6 years go - the one with the other stuff in the thorasic area was about a week ago. I do get some disablitly through the Air force but I think I will get a lawyer for Social Security. I did call one and he told me to do all the work, wait for them to deny me, appeal then he would take it from there. That ticked me off so I didn't call him back. If I were up to doing all that I would be up for getting a job. Which it's been almost 2 years since I worked. Somedays I feel up to it but most I don't. Agian, thank you - I have limited time to write at the moment - I will comment further soon.
This discussion has been closed.