Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

left arm and sholder pain and tickling

kckkc Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone, I'm kc. I am new.

I am very active person. A few months ago I had pain and tickling in my left arm. I went to see my family doctor. She send me to Orthopedic, then MRI and therapy. The result from MRI is not good. There are small posterior disc osteophyte complex at c5, c6 and c7 level. There is a large superimposed left para central disc at c5, c6 with extends mildly inferorty.... To make a story short, I went to see nerve surgeon. He said I'm in danger and must have surgery, Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion asap. I could become paralyze at anytime if I am driving and my car is hit from the back. I was in shocked and scared. I discussed with my family doctor. Based on resulted from MRI, she agreed that I need surgery and she recommended for me to get a second opinion. In the mean time, I have gone to 5 session of therapy. My pain and tickling is now 50% less than three weeks ago. I am still waiting for my second surgeon appointment. If therapy is helping, what is that mean? Am I getting better ? Do surgery is a must? Do you folks out there have any suggestion. I am afraid of surgery. Thanks in advanced for your opinion.

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. first i think you should follow through with whatever therapies you are being given and go to that second opinion!! that is a must!! the more information and confirmation you have about your condition, the better for your recovery!! showing signs of improvement is a great thing but you do need to follow your doctor's orders..if you are getting better, all the more need for that second opinion!!! it is only normal to be afraid of surgery, hang around here for awhile and you will get more used to the idea!! LOL!! please have a look around the different forums including the "Back and Neck Surgery forum." it has alot of things you will need postsurgery.. stop by anytime!! there is always a spiney around! Jenny :)
  • Hi kc and welcome to spine-health. Surgery is a very scary thing to face. Absolutely, I would seek out a 2nd, and even a 3rd opinion, whatever you need to make you feel better about the decision. You also need to educate yourself on the surgery itself, the other types of surgeries available, and discuss with your surgeon what would be the best solution for you. When it comes time, you will need to weigh the pros and cons to having surgery or not having surgery, the obvious being will you end up with paralysis, and weighing the risks of surgery itself.

I myself, have been through paralysis of my left arm due to nerve damage at C5 and C6 nerve roots, post-op. I'm now 6 months, and am probably at about 30-40% recovery, I actually just had another EMG done yesterday. I just started physio and massage therapy 3 weeks ago, it's my 2nd round of physio since it happened, but this time it's much more intensive, and I've had more improvement. Hang in there, give it a chance, do your home exercises, and follow through with your appointments with the surgeons and opinions and do your homework. Take a look through the tabs at the top, under the Conditions and Treatments tabs, you'll find tons of info there. Again, welcome to the site, and good luck!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thanks you so much for your support.
  • Thanks you so much for your support.
  • solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by Authority Member Liz