Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Cord Stimulator

MomofthreeboysMMomofthreeboys Posts: 73
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hello All!! I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and is having fun preparing for the coming holidays despite our pain and worries. 12/7/11, I went in for a Spinal Cord Stimulator Test. It was concidered very successful, as it relieved about 70% of my pain in the areas that it covered. Now I need to decide if I should call my surgeon to schedule the surgery or if enough is enough. I've had 2 back surgeries and a hip surgery and I swore I would never have another surgery unless it was an emergency. However, the relief I had from the test has me second guessing myself. It gave me relief in my lower back and down both legs. It felt really funny, but better than pain. I just don't know what to do!!!
Any advise and/or info would be appreciated!!!!!!
Surgery 1/07/2009:
1. L3-4 decompression laminectomy and foraminotomy
2. Left complete L3-4 discectomy with decompression of L4 root.
3. Posterior lumbar interbody fusion, L3-4 with 10-mm Capstone cage and autograph.
4. Posterior spinal fusion L3-L5 with iliac bone graph and BMP
5. Legacy instrumentation, L3 to L5

Surgery 10/4/10
Hardware removal

• I was just wondering about the spinal cord stimulator. Exactly why did they recommend it? I realize that it gets rid of your pain,but are you taking pain meds. along with it? I had a spinal cord injury in my neck and have been taking pills for nerve pain and was told that my pain will never go away. I hate taking medications and i'm just wondering if i should start asking about this.
  • I have been on narcotics almost 4 years, first Vicoden and now Oxycodone 15mg every 4 hours. I'm also on Topomax 50mg, 50mg and 150mg. A big factor in them choosing the stimulator is that I seem to fail every other med they try to introduce, lyrica, neurontin. So, I am getting no relief from my nerve pain/damage. Another factor in this choice is, like you, I've been told by several doctors that I will never get better. Did you know that 45% of these surgeries we had end out in Failed Back Syndrome. They never tell you that before surgery, they tell you they are going to make you all better. The big plus with the stimulator is that you get to try it out before you get it implanted, the big con is no more MRI's. Hope I helped, let me know if you have more questions!
  • Mom. You said the scs give you 70% pain releif so why not have it put in? Just wondering why you say you are not sure what to do,

I had 2 trials already. Failed the 1 st time to give releif so i went with surgery instead to try to fix the problem, Surgery made me worse so again i had 2 nd trial which failed,
    But both times i went for the trial it was because i was prepared to have it implanted if it helped,

So if its helping that much in your case then i would go for it, after all that why you had the trial, My dr talking to me about another trial with the newer flat leads with the scs because he feels that might work beter on me,

If it gives me 70% releif i will be the 1 st in line geting them to implant it,

Good luck on whatever you decide, Ps. I also never was aware of failed back surgery syndrome either untill i hapened to be 1 of them,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Consult for surgery Jan 10th!!! Scared and excited!!!