Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am new to Spine-health

PerseusPPerseus Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am new to Spine Health and have enjoyed reading the many articles and posts. I am not sure if this is the right forum for me but I am scheduled for a C4-5, C5-6 posterior foraminotomy and Fusion on 12/22/2011. I had an anterior fusion 2 years ago and there is a slight question whether it fused adequately. I have rheumatoid arthritis which is throughout my spine from C1 down so I guess I need to get used to having cervical surgery. I just went through a very successul radial frequency ablation on my lumbar spine after years of severe pain.

I have read and heard that this posterior foraminotomy surgery is going to be very difficult and painful so I thought that it might be a good idea to be connected with Spine Health.com for some information & support. Quite frankly, I'm a little scared. I have heard that the pain is very severe for the first 3 weeks and that strong muscle relaxers are needed.

I have taken strong pain meds for a very long time and am concerned that my tolerance is very high making pain management difficult. I met with the PA but not with my surgeon to ask him to reassure me that he will adequately manage my pain. I have a problem throwing up when I take too many pain pills and then I can't take anything until my stomach settle. Of course this is not good after c-spine surgery. What muscle relaxers have others found to be most helpful?

Your information is invaluable. Thanks,

• Hello Perseus,

I am also new to this site.
    It sounds like you've been on a rough journey.

My own conditions are not as severe as yours and I don't have any first hand info regarding your coming surgery.
    I have a chronic pain condition (possibly CRPS/RSD) which affects my neck & shoulders, especially the right shoulder which has very limited movement.

I have been using a variety of techniques for managing the pain I experience. I am limited with the medications I can take as I have multiple allergies. I do tolerate Digesic/Capadex & that is my primary source of pain relief atm.

You should definitely speak with your treating doctors about your pain management.
    If you're commonly ill following an anaesthetic, you really need to discuss this with your surgeon & your anaesthetist; there are a variety of anaesthetic medications which don't have a nauseating effect. There are also some very strong anti-nausea meds which can be used to prevent post-operative vomiting etc.

I wish you the very best for your surgery :) I truly hope you find some relief from it!

Take care!