Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 week fusion update. Positive

Rapp0378RRapp0378 Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This Wednesday will be my 6 week doctor apt for my l5-s1 spine fusion. I had a MIS TLIF with bone graft from my hip.
All the nerve pain was gone after surgery. I started walking a couple days shy of the two week mark. I am up to 4-5 miles a day now. Feels great. Little sore after if i walk to far but its a good sore. I know i still have a long way to go and anything could happen but right now i feel really great and im glad i had the surgery. I could not walk or stand straight before and now im out walking twice a day. Im almost completely pain free. The only problems i have are sleeping, my legs hurt and feel like i have restless leg syndrome. And my hamstring on the left, (effected side) is so tight i cannot extend my leg forward. Im sure that with some therapy it will improve. Im writing this on here because positive stories help people. I owe all of my success to my surgeon. He is a genius and and artist. If anyone is in florida and wants his name just send me a private message. Hope everyone finds relief soon. Take care.

• Congrats on your recovery so far. Tomorrow is my 6 week check up and x-rays. I went back to work full-time last week and am feeling great! I know it seems soon to be going back, but my surgeon told me I could start working again at 4 weeks if I felt good enough. I have no pain and am drug-free except for Neurontin twice a day. I know what you mean about the restless leg syndrome! I thought I was the only one with that symptom. It does make it very hard to fall asleep, bit if that is my only problem I guess I am doing good. Keep getting better!!
  • Thanks and same to you! Glad to hear about your positive recovery. Thats awsome that you are already back to work. I agree with you totally about the restless leg situation, if thats my only problem i consider myself lucky. I had such intense pain before surgery. Another strange thing is the top of my toes on the effected leg are painful to touch, even if they touch the sheets of my bed. Its more unusual then painful, feels like a sunburn. Im guessing its nerve damage and will go away with time. And if it doesnt i can live with it. Its a small price to pay. Good luck on your x-rays tmrw. I will be doing that as well. My doctor gave me a bone stimulator that ive been wearing four hours a day so i am really looking forward to seeing the x-rays. Id love to hear how your apt goes tmrw. Keep me updated. Talk to you later.

• to see postop success stories! Please don;'t overdo it, guys - you're still pretty early in your recovery.

Rapp, you could be right about cause of the hamstring tightness plus the sensation on your toes of sunburn taking time to disappear; the nerves might still be "angry" from the problem that required surgery plus being handled during the operation. Good thing you're giving it some time. But thank goodness you're both much better on the whole than you were preop.
  • I waited over 2 years to have the surgery. There are oceans of negitive stories that really helped me come up with reasons not to get the surgery. It hasn't even been 2 weeks and I'm so glad I did it. I had nerve pain down both legs that was stopping me from living my life the way I wanted to. All my nerve pain is gone, it's strange after having it for so long. My lower back is still sore from the surgery but I am feeling a little bit better everyday and the time between pain pills is getting longer. I'm walking everyday and it feels great. Sleeping is the hard part, but sitting still and forcing myself to take it easy is the hardest. I hope to go back to work next week, but know I might need another week. Either way I am so happy I did it and wanted to share since there are SO many horror stories out there. I'm sure everyone is different, but it seems to have worked for me :).