Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain into the heel and soles of feet anyone?

nurselynnaiennurselynnaie Posts: 167
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi all, this may sound stupid but over the past couple weeks of course my pain has been awful ( thanks to Mr. Cold) I feel the pain always down my left leg to the outer aspect of my foot and down my right leg to the knee. As usual I am up about 2-3 times a night get up move around get a drink and have noticed that the heels and soles of my feet hurt bad when I get up to move. Sometimes it feels like numbness with the needles other times just a horrible ache. Has anyone else ever had this? This is new to me. I went to the doctor yesterday and he kind of blew that off. He of course has no hope for the future for me and is saying just deal with it. Which is hard to deal with I will be calling another doctor at some point after the holidays.
Anyway I just wanted to see if I am alone in this foot pain, it drives me nuts feels like I am walking on stilts almost

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...terrible pain on the top of my right foot. I find myself just pounding on it to make it go away. It is crazy making. But not the bottom of my feet.

A good friend of mine did have severe pain..bottom of feet..where she needed to wear a supportive shoe.. even to get up at night to go to the bathroom. Being barefoot was extremely painful for her.

Good luck with the new doc and hope your foot and leg pain stay somewhat under control for the holidays.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Sheryl,
    I feel pain horrible when I wake and well all thru day, in winter in my feet.
    Well my whole body, but even with few pair good winter socks and comfy slippers, my feet still feel like they are swollen and the pain is just horrid.
    As for your doc, kick him or her to the curb.
    I had Rheumo doc he was nice nice and seemed to listen at the beginning. After few visits, he told me I read too much and I just have to deal with the pain of fibro.
    Never went back to him.
    May docs blow us off and I have been thru many of those docs. Takes long search but there are some that still have compassion.
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • sounds like your L5 dermatome - perhaps you've irritated the L5 nerve root. Icing just above the dimple above your bum might target this kind of irritation.

Google dermatome map to see if where your foot is burning matches any particular nerve distribution.
  • sounds like your L5 dermatome - perhaps you've irritated the L5 nerve root. Icing just above the dimple above your bum might target this kind of irritation.

Google dermatome map to see if where your foot is burning matches any particular nerve distribution.
  • every minute of every day - coupled with some pretty amazing electricity zapping out of my big toe that goes along with the siatica. Interesting how your feet can be numb to touch or to even stick a needle in them, but you can sure feel that siatic and electric shock zapping away. My surgery was at L2 - 5 and caused massive nerve damage so what someone above said about that would probably be my guess as well.
  • Well I googled the dermatome map and well there it is right in front of my eyes. Thank you so much my original surgery was L# L4 L5 fusion and I have never had this pain before but the nerve root must of got irritated by those moving screws and rods back there and caused this. Another ache and pain associated with my back ... So depressing but at least I know where it is coming from now
    Thanks guys you are the best
    gives me piece of mind
  • Hi, and sorry you are going thru that extra pain. But i'm glad you brought it up, cause i have the same feeling in my left heel. Its extremely sensitive and painful to the touch. Almost like it was broke it hurts so bad.
    Now at least starting today 12 days post-op, the pain is finally going away.
    I didnt have that pain pre-op tho, so i agree with others, that its something to do with the nerves.

Hoping it all becomes a distant memory for us all soon.

My best to ya.
  • I googled that Map above and it shows you the nerve pathways and where they can hurt ..So neat to be able to put a picture with my pain anyway. Did you say 12th day post op? Sneaky sneaky.... did not know you were having surgery this quick comp really kicked it up lol ...I wish I would of known I would of been bugging you daily to make sure you were alright :) I am glad the pain is going away remember it takes time do not get discouraged some doctors say it can take a year or more for the pain to go away. I am so happy you are on the road to getting your life back ... if you need anything or just want to Scream message I am always here
    Have less pain each day to all of us until we are pain free
  • I cant stand on my feet for very long. I take gabapentin 300mg 3xday it helps greatly but now been taking it since april, the dosage is not enough. My husband changed jobs to get me better insurance. I havent seen back doc since sept. My back doc wants to remove titanium from lumbar saying i have an allergy that has caused all my other pain. But a screw will be left in from the alif. My husband thinks all this pain is not possible since the doc said surgery would fix me. Anyone else think that way? I am thinking of getting a second opinion before agreeing to go under the knife again. I go to bed at 4-5am because of pain,then my body wakes me up to take more pain meds. Every day i get nothing done and we are broke from copays and deductables. I am on lortab 5, gabapentin, soma, tagament, went off celexa last week. Should be on cymbalta 90mg but it costs 580 month. It did help a lot, but we need to eat too.
  • Hi :) I have never heard of an allergy to Titanium causing so much pain. I hear you with the cost of everything it is crazy and I take cymbalta cuz it is the only thing that works for me and I have had to pay for it for a long time. It was ridiculous.
    My insurance covers all but 35 dollars now.
    I have never met a doctor who said they could fix me with surgery, fusions and spinal surgery are never able to fix someone completely even if it is successful it is because there is less pain not no pain. At least that is what I have seen. I did well after my fusion in 08 and had pain that was tolerable with ibuprofen and my cymbalta every once in a while I would over do it and go get some Vicodin.
    Oh tell your husband to get on here for a little bit and read the posts because the pain is possible and unfortunately real for many of us.
    I worked 60-70 hours a week as a nurse manager up until May 6th one wrong move has screwed me probably for the rest of my life and I am 39.
    Take Care
    Oh ya the pain in my feet ankles oh heck everywhere is so much worse that I am not moving too much anymore. Go to the doctors the 27th (PM) hoping they can do something but I know they are at their wits end with me and so is my family :(
  • out of the blue ..i started with bilateral heel pain .and on my right foot the top of it hurt .{as well as the normal hellish back pain and burning leg!!} BUT since i have returned from holiday the heel pain has gone ! go figure >>> my consultant told me that heel pain was caused by some disc problem .i can't remember which one there are so many !! i am not allowed to mention a certain device that my help but PM me and i will tell you what it is
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • It is possible. After the spinal fusion, about a year later - I was having all kinds of pain and it ended up being my body was rejecting the metal. It was causing pain, infection at the surgical site, swelling, redness, high white count (or red) whatever that is and even some heart palpatations. I had it removed and had one more good year before everything started going down hill. From what I understand otehr people that have it removed do much better tho so it might be worth a shot. That particular surgery is same day and not nearly as awful as when they put it in! I know that my heel, foot and ankle pain, along with the numbness is caused by nerve damange from the fusion site however so I don't know if removing the metal would do anything as far as relieving your foot issues. take care and goodluck.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I was already going to have surgery to fuse L,1-L2 and L,1- T,12.
    When I told him about my heels and souls first being numb. Then turn to like being on fire. He said that would be coming from L5, and some other numbness that would be coming from the S,1 area. So he wanted to do a decompression and laminectomy at L,4-S,1
    I'm about 3 weeks post op. So time will tell. But it seams the fire has been put out.
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I would be thrilled if the surgery was a huge success! Even if it only got rid of most of it - thats huge! My thoughts are with ya buddy and hoping that WILL be the case!
This discussion has been closed.