Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fibromyalgia like pain for last 30 years no injury escalating!!

witsendwwitsend Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I have been dealing with upper back pain for about 30 years now. In the past I was able to keep it manageable with DAILY exercise and a number of alcoholic drinks but in the last 2 years it has gotten out of hand. I finally have insurance and am able to get all the tests but no one can figure it out. It burns in a way I can't even begin to describe and I am pretty much in tears as I am writing this. I have had the injections (only the first one seemed to help but not for more than a couple weeks) I am in FL and we have "pain management clinics" here and have tried everything from patches to morphine (30mg 3 times a day which I am now weened off of) I build up a tolerance for the drugs too fast and within a few months am just taking them to not be "sick". I do have some disc issues and stenosis but this has been going on too long for it to be my spine. I am going to the Mayo clinic next week and have my fingers crossed but have pretty much given up hope. Any thoughts??

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...It never hurts to have another opinion.

Now that you have insurance...it may take trial and try again, but hopefully the PM doc can get a game plan to get things at least manageable.

Never give up hope. There are so many things out there that we have no idea when an answer may come our way.

I do know relentless pain that I would not believe if I didn't experience it myself. For me, an antidepressant helps, also.

Even though I do have depression, I know that they use it to help with the pain, also. Not sure, but wouldn't hurt to ask about it.

The living in pain is a lonely place..but you're not alone any more. You continue to post whatever you feel, even if you need to vent. Also, much info on this site may be encouraging to you.

Take care and please let us know how you are doing!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I read your profile and like so many others I have read I almost feel luck that I am not worse off! But without my meds I have pain that is so bad I don't want to live. I need to put up my profile and will do that in a couple of days once I get back from the Mayo clinic. But I have had a hell of a setback. I knew I was subject to random drug tests thru my PM clinic but for some reason I just assumed it was for real narcotics. I have been using weed for pain for years and never thought it would be an issue. WRONG. I was "dismissed" today and told they can no longer help me. Thank god I am not addicted to any of the pain meds yet. It came at a time when I thought I could do without them and had just weened down to 15mg 3x a day of Morphine from the 60mg 3x I had JUST gone up to. But the pain was so devastating that I wanted to continue with 30mg. I am in FL and we went from a pain pill mill state to a no one dare give you anything state for fear of prosecution. If I am not "fixed" soon I will most likely kill myself because I can't live with this much pain and it is looking like I got myself in a date base that will keep me from getting any type of pain meds ever again.

I did try a couple of antidepressants. Also savilla. None helped the pain and savilla (for fibro) left me sleeping most of the day and in a daze the rest. It is all centered in my upper back. It feels at it's worse like I am being flayed alive. I don't meet the fibro criteria but the pain meets the description.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...turn around for you at Mayo....like some more answers or hope.

No matter what though... if not Mayo..then maybe the next place ...keep hope for tomorrow.

I know that dark place..but please...never give up.

I have the suicide hotline on my speed dial..for those times I need to talk..or be talked out of something...and my therapist not available. I never care about how many times I call ...just talking can help me sometimes.

Also, been through many different antidepressants for awhile before effective.

Truly, the pain and the depression...trial and try again. Eventually there will be a doc or therapist that understands and offers some kind of hope.

And keep hanging around here! Vent..whatever... This site has such a variety of people who come up with some really creative answers or just shared info.. that I would not have known otherwise.

When you tell the folks at Mayo everything...pain and depression...keep talking til someone sees it.
    Warmest regards and thoughts coming your way.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• There's many medications including Cymbalta which I take is good for sciatica and depression and has been accepted for use with Fibromyalgia recently. Hopefully the Mayo Clinic will help or a good Dr. Please call

Suicide Hotline Number for
    USA: 1-800-784-2433

There's always hope for tomorrow and never give up hope that medical technology will come up with a cure for chronic pain. Please let your Dr. know how you're feeling. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • HI,
    Read your post...have you looked up the symptoms of myofacial pain? Similar to fibro, but a totally different condition... Hope this helps..