Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discs continue to herniate despite precautions

minzie31mminzie31 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Pain Management

I am a male 5'8'' and weigh 140 lbs. I had two discs herniated L5, s1 two years ago. I had to undergo anti-inflammatory medication, IFC, and other physical exercises as part of the treatment. I did not need a surgery and was absolutely fine for the last one and a half years. For the past one week I felt pain once again, and the doctor says its now l4 that might be herniated. Will my discs continue to get herniated like this? What happens if that is the case? I have been very careful the last two years but could not prevent this.

• Have you had any studies done to confirm that you do in fact, have a herniation? MRI's and CT scans can both confirm the presence of herniations or nerve compression in the spine.
    Most people have back pain at several points in their lives, and most of them recover quite well, given some time.
    Even with the presence of herniations on MRI's, it doesn't necessarily mean that the herniation is the source of your pain.
    Usually, rest, some physical therapy, and some anti inflammtories will help resolve most back pain and I hope that this is the case for you.
  • I did not have yet another MRI scan to confirm it as yet, but the scan done two years ago showed herniation in s1,l5. A preliminary X-ray was done through which the doctor speculated a herniation in l4.
    Yes I am going thru physical therapy, exercises, anti-inflammatory medications, steroids, and analgesics for nerves (that I think is causing sleepless nights).
    I am scared that if my discs go on herniating like this I would never be able to pick up my kid, if I have a family in future. :-(