Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Jim's back, kind of

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, well I'm back, kind of
I'm back from the hospital and the skilled nursing facility, to Brentwood (the valley house) Not the Mountains!
I had a one week stay at the hospital, and a one week stay at the skilled nursing facility. So obviously things didn't go exactly as planned. ( not even close)
I didn't back up what I typed yesterday. And just as I was ready to hit send. It went "Poof" somewhere in cyberspace?
Well today I'm backing it up with word. I'm a verry slow typer, so when I've spent an hour typing something and it disappears, I go out of my mind! especially in the shape that I'm in now. And on that note. I need to go lay down. I'll finish this later.
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    You know, at our stages, I dont think any of our hospital procedures go exactly as planned and normal!

Regarding the missing data from your typing. I've been burnt by this I can not tell you how many times.

Never on my desktop, but always on my laptop. I would be typing along, having a great post ( I think ) and then, either by a flick of my pinker, a strong sneeze, slow hand movements, or earthquake tremors, I am bounced back before I was making the post and all is gone.

Now, you would think, as a rationale person and working with the developers here, we could come up with a solution. Sorry NOPE, NADA, from what I see, its the nature of the beast. But I dont like that beast.

What I have been doing lately when I am making a long post, I copy/paste it into a notepad or word document, just in case.

Main thing, Jim, how are you feeling now?
    Ready for some hiking up in the woods?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Sounds like you have been having an exciting time. I hope that things will calm down now and that they will become very boring!! That has got to be better than exciting when you are recovering from spinal surgery.

Feel better soon. :-)

• It is great to hear from you, you have been in our thoughts. Sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned. Now that you are home, may things go smooth,and the real recovery can begin.

Look forward to hearing more from you, when you are able.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Ron. I think The harder it is to bounce back from major surgery The older we get. In my wildest dreams I would never ever consider staying in a Nursing, Rehabilitation Center. But I did and it was for the best.
    It was supposed to be a 6 Hr. surgery. L,2-L1, antrolatery. And L1-T,12 with instrumantation posteriorly. Then Decompression and lamanectamy at L,4-S,1 Bilateraly. But due to being on heavy meds for 10 yrs. They had to keep adjusting the PCA with dilaudid and keep triating up. So due to battling the post op pain and a little bit of pneumonia in the left lung and some fluid in the right lung. And due too the severe pain I was slow to mobilize and even though I was able to get up and due some physical therapy I was too slow to mobilize. And be released. I also need to have antibiotics in my drip bag. And my lungs monitored.
    So due to the extensive damage at L,4-S,1, the 6 hr. surgery turned into a 10 hr. surgery. And I had to extend my hospital stay to 10 days and then a nursing rehabilitation center for 7 days.
    who da ever thunk it???!!! =))
    Jim :D
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Sorry to hear of some complications like pneumonia after surgery and I've heard when the surgeon gets in there finds the damage worse than what was seen on the MRI. You must have been through a lot of pain.

I hope you're pain is getting under control and you can slowly walk a few times a day. Can't remember where you live as the weather is snowy where I am in Toronto for the first night this Winter and would be concerned about walking outside right after surgery. (stay off those red high heels) j/k

I hope you heal completely after your surgery and do your deep breathing and coughing exercises with splinting against a pillow. Praying for you and positive thoughts. >:D< Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm so sorry to hear that you've had to go back in! I've been offline a bit and only just popping back in to check on people - That 10 day stint in the hospital sucksm, but I'm glad you saw reason and stayed in the facility afterwards, I hear it makes a huge difference.

I know I was sure hoping for a rehabilitation center after my longer than expected and more eventful than planned surgery!

Take it easy, walk and breath and get back on the road to recovery :)
  • Sorry for ll you have been through but happy to hear it sounds like your on the path to recovery now :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Sorry to hear of the problems you had with early recovery. I'm glad you're home now. Take it easy, and keep us posted.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am so sorry you are having such a rough time! Prayers said for a speedy recovery
  • Good to hear from you.
    Wow, sounds like an 'exciting' experience. I guess just trying to put a positive spin on it.
    Sorry it was a bit more crazy than you had planned but you don't sound too bad considering.

Hope you are doing ok now...and focused on recovery.
    The mountains will always be there for you to visit...like an old friend. They aren't gone forever.

• Glad to hear you're on the other side and that you're on to recovery at home. I know what it's like to have the doc go in and find more than we bargained for, but I didn't end up in a nursing facility. But I'm glad you feel it was for the best and helped you move along a little faster than if you'd gone home too soon.

We've been thinking about you and glad you see you posting. You've got a long road ahead of you, but at least the worst of it is over and it's time to heal. Take it easy, follow doc's orders and rest and walk when you can.

Take care, my friend. Again, nice to see your post.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    In chronic pain and all of the surgeries over the last 10 years. The P.M.Dr. Has decided he needs to cut the meds back....NOW!!! Doc. :jawdrop: couldn't we wait for a full recovery???!!! :/
    And the surgeon said the best we can shoot for would be 5 to 30% reduction in pain, the rest is irreversible damage. X(
    I think I may need to consider a new P.M.Dr. ~X(
    Jim,in pain :''(
  • j.howie said:
    The P.M.Dr. Has decided he needs to cut the meds back....NOW!!! Doc. :jawdrop: couldn't we wait for a full recovery???!!! ~X(
    Jim,in pain :''(
    Even though I'm not a doctor, that does not sound right - especially since you're so early in recovery! How does he know at this point how much pain relief you'll end up with??

Take care! Love 'n >:D< >:D< >:D<, Ess
  • Hey Jim,

Been following your progress.......I'm sure you're happy to be back home. It's so early that I would think it's hard to tell just how pain-free you'll end up. I do hope you find some relief quick!

Hang in there, friend!