Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ASPEN Collar - right way/wrong way?

KenAZKKenAZ Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well, got pre-op blood done today, ready to rock and roll for first thing tomorrow. Was nervous, now just chilling and listening to music and preparing the 'inner terrain.'

Question -- I know they are putting an Aspen COllar on my coming out of surgery -- should I "mark" it somehow to be sure I re-secure it each time I take it off to shower? Just curious if others have done this. It seems hard to screw up, but seems easy to maybe put it on too loosely and not get the same effect.

I will be sure my patient advocate (my wife!) asks that question as well.

Tomorrow is the big day!!!! FUSE ME BABY!

• Sounds like you're set! I have to have an ACDF too but don't know the date yet.

I hope it goes well for you.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    seems like an updated and improved Philadelphia cervical collar.

You should be fitted for the collar to make sure its the correct size and also be shown how to wear it.

For what I can tell, its two pieces that get strapped together, not really a lot that needs to happen.

I wore the Philadelphia collar for about 6-7 weeks for both of my cervical ACDF surgeries. I would recommend having another collar for yourself. This way you can switch every so often and allow the other one to 'air' out a bit.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • After both of my acdf surgeries I had to wear my collar for 12 weeks. I had extra foam inserts so that I could change it after the shower and have a new dry one.
    They showed me in the hospital how to be sure it was tight enough, but perhaps a mark could make that easier for you.
    wishing you the very best in your surgery and recovery! take care