Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anteriior disc fusion op best position to sleep in

Catwoman1968CCatwoman1968 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm a newbie. I had a disc fusion C4/5 and C5/6. I had been suffering from nerve pain, muscle aches and numbness in my left arm.

On waking from surgery I had no pain whasoever - no numbness or anything. I was up and walking the same day and seemed to be getting on really well.

Last night I slept on my left side (I have done so since coming home) and woke up feeling fine. However after about 10 mins I had severe neck ack, headache and left arm ache with tingling.

My surgeon said that no movement or activity was out of bounds as long as I wasn't in pain.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• I slept in a recliner for about 6 weeks post op of C5-6 C6-7. Found I had the best and longest sleep that way. Everybody is different. Some people use pillows propped up in their bed. Are you wearing a soft or hard collar? Hope you pain is less and you are sleeping better.
  • Thanks for your support. I was advised not to wear a soft or hard collar I think this is the current thinking edit Hospital in London - by the way they were brilliant.

I am sleppig very well actually and this morning have woken up pain free (11 days post-op). I did try pillows both sides last night (hubby was none too pleased!) but I think that may have helped.

It's interesting reading many of these posts as some people seem to have had very distressing outcomes and I do feel lucky.

My fear is that'll I'll do too much too soon.

Thx x

Post edited to remove name of medical professional and or facility. by Authority Member Liz
  • Hi Catwoman, I am about 3 weeks post-op & my doc says whatever position I am most comfortable that's how I need to sleep. The first week or so I propped myself up with pillows, (hubby slept on the couch & let me have the entire bed) but now I am using a small square fluffy pillow on top of a regular pillow & it really helps. It's kinda like a couch "throw" pillow, but smaller. No collar for me either, except when I'm riding in a vehicle, thank GOD! Seems when I wear that soft collar my neck is more sore.
    I sleep on my side too, but I had to sleep on my back for awhile because of the incision. I had a hard time sleeping on my back so I am glad my incision is healing enough. I still feel like I have a big lump in my throat though.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!

ACDF C5-C6 01/2002
    ACDF C6-C7 12/2011
    Prognosis: Permanent nerve damage in hands/arms, all treatment options exhausted-- lifetime CPP