Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 Lev-reduced to 2 Lev-Surg.12-19-11

duckiedduckie Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Saw Dr yesterday, happy to say 2 level instead of 4. Dr said still fluid around C3-4 and C6-7.
Still nervous though. I could have gone with 4 but why fix something thats not broken.
Anyone else expirence this change?

• Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. Follow doctors' orders and don't do too much afterward. Let us know how it goes.My surgeon said he wouldn't leave one untouched level between fusions, but you have 2 levels between.

Take care,
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • By the time you read this you might be on the "other side". Take care, and don't overdo it. Love 'n >:D< >:D< >:D< , Ess

• Today is the day for your surgery.

Hoping that all goes to plan and that you will have great pain control after surgery.
    We'll be here to support you through the recovery.

Once you are able to come on Spine Health, let us know how you are doing.

>:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Thinking of you and praying that all went well! Still hangin in here. Glad to hear its a little less and that all goes well.
  • So far so good. Doing very well considering :)
    A very lot of my pains are gone, I am amazed.
    Throat is very sore which I expected. Neck muscles sore too.
    I ate sweet potatoe, turkey meatloaf (alittle) a few green beans and had coffee for diner the night of my surgery!
    Following doctors directions and my recovery seems to be going very well so far.
    Meds make me tired...I'll keep ya'll updated.
  • I'm so glad you're feeling better pain-wise. Are you still in the hospital? Keep us posted on your recovery. Love ' >:D< >:D< >:D< , Ess
  • Post Edited by Authority Member Liz
  • Glad to hear you are doing well.Sounds like eating is going better for you than I experienced.I was originally told c4 thru c7 would need fused by an orthopedic surgen,but neurosurgen said nothing wrong with c5 so wont mess with it.Im not sure as not a doctor,what effect this will have on unfused area,but have read and been told multilevel fusions have a lesser fusion sucess rate.With 2 levels of fusion seperated I guess this would be considered 2 single level fusions.Im 50 and dont abuse myself quite as much as when I was younger,so hopefully the untouched level between fusions wont be a problem-for either of us--Good luck to you and keep on healing--Happy New Year!!!

• Duckie,
    Am I correct in thinking that it is C4/5 and C5/6 that you have had fused, because C3/4 and C6/7 still had spinal fluid round them?

I hope that you had a good Christmas and that you are continuing well in your recovery.
  • It's good to hear your doing well. After surgery, when the nurse asked if I wanted pain med, I thought about what I was experiencing, and realized it was tired neck muscles. Being muscular, I asked for a muscle relaxer. It worked. I would advise anyone to think about what their discomfort is. Could a muscle relaxer give you comfort without taking addictive pain killers? We've been through so much pain before surgery, we don't need anymore medical issues such as addiction. Do take pain killers when needed, and muscle relaxers when needed. Just know which one you need. Before surgery, I needed both. For a few days after, I only needed muscle relaxers, then nothing. God bless and heal you.