Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ash0339116AAsh0339116 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone!

I was rear ended in a car accident on my way to nursing school in Sep of 2010 (right after my 23rd Birthday). There was no damage done to car however, I was getting ready to pull out into an intersection and was leaning far forward looking to my light and that's when the guy hit me. I was wearing my seat belt, however due to how far forward I was leaning (to look left) the entire right side of my head/face hit the steering wheel, my chest was held back by the seat belt and my neck snapped. So naturally I went to the doctor's and was having no significant neck pain, just what I thought was whiplash. My Doctor gave me a muscle relaxer and an anti-inflamm and sent me home. So then fast forward 7 months (May/June of 2011), I woke up one morning with pain in my neck so bad I couldn't move it. After trying to figure out what I had done to it, I came up with nothing! So I chalked it up to a pulled muscle (which I learned in Nursing school and last weeks and cause significant pain) so I thought for sure that's what I was. I didn't seek treatment and it got back to normal within 2 1/2 weeks. Then one morning in Sep 0f 2011 I woke up with the same pain in my neck AND numbness and weakness in my left arm, only this time 10 times worse! I went to the Doctor and because of the left arm weakness he thought it was maybe a pinched nerve or an irritated nerve. So he gave me a refill of the meds he gave me in Sep of 2010 and told me to scedule a follow up with him in 2 weeks (that appt. was on a Thursday) Well by Sunday I could not handle the pain any longer. I remember shopping in Target with my Sister and having to sit down on the floor in the middle of the isle because the pain was so intense I the room was spinning and I thought I was going to black out. I started sweating and it felt like my entire neck was on fire. So I made an appt with my Doctor again on Monday morning and he referred me to an imagining center to get an MRI. A week later I got my MRI and a week after that I got the results saying I had a herniated disc between C5/C6 and that I was to see a neurosurgeon. So 2 weeks later I was lucky and got an appt with a GREAT Neurosurgeon and he took one look at my MRI slides and the 1st thing he said was “Wow, that’s impressive, Ashley. You have a MASSIVE herniated disc”. The slipped disc was so bad that it was pushing into my spinal cord a great deal, so he ordered me on a significant activity restriction. No driving, no work (at that time I JUST got my 1st nursing job out of school, it was part time because that’s all they had available) no bending at the waist, no turning my neck, and no lifting more than 10lbs. . . FOR 8 WEEKS!!! :O So after a week of being on my “work leave”, I ended up losing my job, due to I was only part time, and I didn’t qualify for FMLA and they weren’t willing to hold my position. I was devastated. :( I had just graduated and was broke from not working while I was in nursing school and now having Doctor’s bills pile up. So I reopened the case on the guy who rear ended me to get his car insurance to pay for my injury (Which is what my Doctor and I decided that the herniated disc originated from and got aggravated over time), now my case is under “peer review” and is not looking like they will cover my medical bills) So on Dec 1st of this year I went back to my neurosurgeon after my 8 week leave was up and due to the intense migraines I developed and the bad back aches, he was convinced that the disc was diseased and that my only option was surgery. Which I was okay with because at that point I wanted to go back to work and feel like a normal member of society again. So now my surgery is 5 days away (Dec. 23rd) 2 days before Christmas. :| So I was wondering in everyone’s experience who has had a C5/C6 ACDF what are the 1st two days of post-op like? Will I have to sit at home alone while my family and boyfriend celebrate Christmas? Will there is any chance that I can go to family functions 2 days after surgery and at least just sit in a chair and enjoy being with my loved ones at Christmas?! :S

• Hi! I am 24 years old as well... I had ACDF on c4-5. I know what you mean about the neck/shoulder pain and weakness! Mine did the same thing, came and went, until about a year before my surgery it came and never really went away! I am happy I had the surgery, but unfortunately surgery is not a quick fix, you will need to take it easy for quite a while.

As for doing things 2 days after the surgery... You may not want to do anything. How long will you be in the hospital? I was in the hospital for one night. I don't really remember the couple of days after the surgery, I was on a lot of meds and I think I sat in the recliner a lot. You really are not supposed to be in a car at all for at least the first couple weeks. It is very uncomfortable to be in a car, not to mention the risk. How far do you have to go? The first time I left my house post op was to go to a restaurant about 15 min from home. I did ok but it made me exhausted. It was my birthday and we went to my favorite restaurant. You will just have to see how you feel.

If you have any questions for me about anything just private message me or feel free to email me dobeauch@gmail.com
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I'm glad you've found a diagnosis and a plan of action to have it taken care of. Too many people have a hard time finding the problem to their pain and search for months for the right doctor, someone who'll actually take the time to help them. So your first step was a good one.

My ACDF was a 3-lvl, so I doubt my experience will help you much, but honestly I felt really good the first two days at home after my 24-hour hospital stay post-op. But then the pain hit pretty hard. I attribute it to the medicine they put into the surgical area lasting a couple of days then once it wore off, the Mack truck hit.

Like Donna, I don't think you'll feel like going anywhere at two days post-op except to sit in your recliner. Will you be wearing a neck brace?

You'll have restrictions by your doctor and he'd be a good one to ask, but likely he'll say that it'll be up to how you feel. Everyone heals at different rates, and you won't know until you're there.

It's too bad you can't postpone the surgery until even the day after Christmas, but it is what it is.

Take care and feel free to ask any questions you have regarding your surgery - we'll help as much as we're able.