Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

oh my aching back/neck/shoulders

momoffivemmomoffive Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain
I am 45 yr old female. I am needing help. I am scheduled for neck surgery on the 28th of December. My hesitation is that the surgery will not help the pain. I have chronic pain in my upper back and shoulders around my shoulder blades. I also have lower back issues. I have been told I have a compressed disc at c5-6. I also have bone spurs and calcifiction. The nerve is also crowded and pinched. The ligament running down my spine is also thickened. The surgeon is going to insert a spacer and fuse my neck and clean up the calcification and remove the bone spur. He says I have chronic inflamation. I also have reverse curvature of my neck.
I am REALLY wanting to know if anyone else has had these symptons and if the surgery has helped.
I have had other surgeries but this one has me really scared that it might not relieve any of my pain.
Help! :''(
Thank you so much!

• Yes... I had similar symptoms and the surgery helped me.

Have you tried all conservative treatments like PT, injections and medications?

I got to a point where I became depressed and felt I could not live with the amount of pain I was having. I tried conservative treatments without success so decided to have the surgery. I was extremely worried it wouldn't help.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Yes I have tried other treatments. I went to a chiropractor for about six weeks going two to three times a week. Went to pt fora month three times a week. I have been getting massage once a week for about,six weeks also. Within the past few months I had 3 cervical epidural steroids injections spaced several weeks apart. They did not seem to releave much pain and I thought they were very painful.
    I take ambien and zanaflex and neurotin(sp) every night. I used to take flexiril and I couldn't tell a thing. I also take hydrocodone for pain but my neurologists doesn't want me to take very much of it because it can cause rebound headaches especially with my history of headaches.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    All I can tell you is my experience and remember everyone is different. When I woke up all the shoulder pain, neck pain and arm pain was gone!!!! I did have surgery pain but the awful arm pain was 100% gone!!!! I wish you lots of luck and hope it turns out the same for you.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

I also had all the symptoms you mention and after having a 3-lvl ACDF, I woke up post-op with most of my symptoms gone. My arms were normal, but the shoulder pain (muscle spasms) continued for a few months afterwards.

The surgery was totally worth it and I'd do it again if I had to. I have problems above my fusion, but I had those before the surgery so they don't count.

Of course the big question with surgery is "will it help?" You really will only know after your surgery, but hopefully it helps to know that most of us woke up better than when we went in.

Take care and good luck on your surgery.
This discussion has been closed.