Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

24 diagnosed with DDD what to do????

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hello,I'm Kay I am 24 and I have been diagnosed with DDD and spinal stenosis. I am in SEVERE pain my life is in ruins! Long story short it all started 8 months ago with mild hip pain,a burning sensation. Started a process of elimination, expensive shoes, changing jobs, PT, creams heating pads, Advil and non narcotic pain reducers, swimming, walking, laying in bed ... Ect the whole gammot! Now I can't drive more then 10min I cry at least 5-10 times a day In unholy pain Im urinating myself due to the pain from my back and the sciatica now in both legs going down to pinky toes. I have started taking stronger pain Meds
And now I have maybe 2hrs at best where I can move and that's still with
My walker. I don't know what to do I'm going in feb to have a discectomy of 3 disc I have 6 out and a couple fractures. I'm only 24 and have no qaulity of life. I only hve a 30% chance of being better even with the surgery ... I just don't know what to do I'm told I pretty much won't get better and I'm getting worse at a very rapid rate.

• I am sorry to hear of your back issues. I hope the surgery can help you. Have you gotten a second opinion?

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I have got 3 opinions, and I'm going Monday to see a neurosurgeon and see what he says. The problem is that I lost all my medical insurance and I'm getting aid through a local hospital and they're network so my options are kind of limited and I don't want to
    Eat pills foreve.
  • im sorry for everything and can relate... was diagnosed at 31 w DDD did pt, epidural shots, meds and was told i was too young to have surgery and needed to try all above longer which, was making it worse and i got to the point were i was dragging my leg and had to physically move it with my hands. I finally saw my current nuero suregon who didnt care of my age and scheduled surgery w/in 2 wks after intial visit w him. I had 3x surgeries total w last being a fusion- still have pain but for most part can walk w/o assistance. I wanted to mention, if ur having bladder problems waiting til feb seems way too long for surgery. u could end up w more problems than just ur back. UTIs, yeast infections... i hope u can get some pain relief soon and start having more of a life ( hard ik)
  • Hi Kay,

Welcome to Spine Health! I'm Charlie, and have been living with DDD since it's onset over 13 years ago. I understand how difficult it is, and feel bad that you're in such pain at your age. Between my cervical spine and lumbar, I have had 5 surgeries to fuse various levels. I still am having issues and pain at both the lumbar and cervical and am having a nerve conduction study in 2 days and MRIs Christmas Eve on both lumbar and cervical.

That's not to say that you will need all that work, because it depends on each person. With the pain you're in, plus urinating control issues, I hope you can have this fixed quickly and effectively!

I wish you relief in a hurry, and please keep us posted....you're not alone and there are wonderful folks on here for support!

Good luck!
  • Hello everyone and thank you for the responses I did see another doctor that is helping me and doesn't discriminate my age and is really trying to help me out and I'm very grateful for that! I've actually been able to work and walk an hr or two a day without my cane and that feels like a miracle!