Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Coccyx Pain after L4/L5/S1 fusion

Charliemouse76CCharliemouse76 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi All

8 months ago I had a spinal fusion L4/L5/S1 after 4 years of pain and various steroid procedures, Radio Frequency procedures, epidurals etc.

I have been recovering well and despite still have numbness in my shin and my toes going numb after ten minutes of walking I'm a hell of a lot better than I was before surgery. However this week I have developed coccyx (tail bone) pain from out of nowhere.... I have been very worried as I have had no fall or bump and its painful to touch as if bruised. I have read that this is common and I'm relieved at that however I'm now wndering if this will be permanent ? Has anyone else suffered with this and if so how long for, I'm not back to see my surgeon until Feb 14th and at the minute I can't bear to sit correctly on a chair ! It's affecting driving and general mobility. Advice please ! Thanks : Joanne.

• Welcome to spine health! Sorry that you have developed coccyx pain. I can completely relate, although I had mine before and after my discectomy/laminectomy. Did you have coccyx pain before you had your fusion?

Mine is also very painful to touch and especially hurts if I have to sit and then stand up. Upon standing it is incredibly painful and is like lightning or a knife shooting up my spine. I avoid sitting at all costs, generally lean on hip if I have to sit.

I am sure others that have this pain after fusion will chime in soon. Hope that this pain subsides for you.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi
    Thanks for the reply, I did not suffer any coccyx pain prior to surgery and none after surgery until now hence my worry. I'm hoping it will settle and disappear back from whence it came !

I injured my back 4 years ago and prior to that I was quite fit and had a busy life and career.... all that has long gone..
  • I have the same cocyx pain as you. Also, I did not have it before my fusion last July.

I try to avoid sitting 'upright' as it makes the pain worse and, getting up from a sitting position really hurts. I now adopt a really bad posture when sitting - which is more laid back and off my cocyx. It helps to relieve that pain, but obviously doesn't help my back pain. Short of standing up all the time, there's not alot I can do about it.

Sitting on hard seats at work (at 90 degrees) is really uncomfortable and also driving causes problems. When I stand up, I look (and feel) like an old woman!

I do not know if this is something that occurs after fusion surgery - or if it is common - but I have told my surgeon and whilst he hasn't told me directly, I get the impression that it could be part of the 'healing process', but I don't know for sure.

I'm due to have revision surgery on 22 December, so my cocyx pain is the last thing on my mind right now.

Perhaps, if your pain continues, you can tell your surgeon about it at your next appointment to see what he/she advises. If you are on any prescribed painkillers, does it help to ease the cocyx pain at all? I hope so, but if not, again have a word with your surgeon as there may be alternative medications that can help you with this.

In the meantime, I hope you - and all Spine Health members - have a lovely Christmas and New Year.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Hi,

In 2006 I woke up and it felt 'literally' like I had been shot in the back twice. CES was quite a rare syndrome but because of troops coming home it has become more prevalent as 70% of CES cases are from gun shot wounds. The only other way to get it (like I did) is to have insanely huge bulging and or herniated discs, thought the latter is least likely to happen.

Because of this at age 36 my life changed forever. You have, at the most, 48 hours to have emergency surgery as that entire nerve area L4, L5 & S! had been blown to kingdom come and my surgery didn't happen until over 65 hours had gone by. I had the most incredible Nuerosugeron and friend that saved my life and somehow, with his skill, and this is KEY you must have an extreme and iron clad will and a very postive attitude. I lost feeling: middle of back to the tailbone, no feeling in right toe, left ankle became so weak have to wear a special set up, only can pee maybe twice a day, have had now a total of 8 surgeries on my back.

The key here is that THIS CAN BE PREVENTED - If I had (usually happens to guys in their late 40's or 50's. You 'know' when your back isn't right. Get checked because there is nothing such as just 1 back surgery - if it's bad and they put titanium in you it obiviouly much stronger than bone and eventually you will need more surgeries.

Later tonight I'll be at UC Davis (great spinal prgram) because now I need Massive spinal surgery. This where they open the back, not slice it. Then we'll know if I'll be able to stand up straight but the odds are wheelchair at 42 :( Yet I have a great support system with friends and family. BTW, I got another even rarer syndrome that CES - you can only get it if you have CES. It's called Adhesive Arachnoiditis Syndrome. It's almost comical.

Hope this helped somewhat - take care!