Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HI, I'm new, I'm scared and I'm a nurse!

TrixieM75TTrixieM75 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:58 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, my name is Trixie, I'm 36 and I'm nurse, but before that I am a mother to 3 young and very active boys. They are 6, 4 and 18 months. The part that scares me is that I was sweeping on April 22nd, Good Friday this year and turned my head to the left really quick and fast and felt a pop. Within 15 minutes I was completely paralyzed and the ambulance was in my basement trying to carry me upstairs. The paralysis lasted for about 2-3 hours on and off. Finally after seeing 2 doctors on November 30th I was diagnosed with Congenital Cervical Spinal Stenosis at C4-C6. I am a lover of roller coasters, and anything else that is thrilling. I've waited for so long to ride the "big people" roller coaster with my 1st son and we were suppose to do that in 2012, but now that will never happen. It may seem ridiculous to others, but that was one of the important things to my son and I. Now, my doctor has told me that I am not even allowed to run, jump, jog, no contact sports, or the temporary paralysis that happened to me in April can be permanent... WOW!!! To quote my doctor "This suck, but this is your life". Honestly, I work in surgical oncology in-patients. My job I will have to leave because of all the lifting I do. I'm not even allowed to lift my baby anymore. Nothing more than 10 pounds forever. I hear the stories of patients who are well and have never seen a doctor before, but it is really weird being on the other side of things, I feel that my life has come to a complete and sudden stop! All of a sudden I have to move slower, turn slower, think of my movement first before I do anything and that is so NOT like me. I usually get up, get moving, and get going. I walk fast normally and now have to think about EVERY SINGLE MOVE I MAKE!! I hate it, but I love my family. My children and my husband and I don't want to live fully and capable of everything forever (if possible). Again, I may seem blind to things especially the spinal health. Like a mentioned before, I work in Oncology so Neurology is a world new world for me. I am more than willing and eager to learn about it, my condition and very eager to meet new people who are "like me"!! I have goals in my life and can not be stop because of this, but I can and will learn to modify my "new" life. I tend to write and talk a lot. Thank you to those who read my post. I can't wait to hear and speak to others.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    ...medical profession can go out the window when it happens to you.

No matter your background, it is good for docs to talk to you as they would any other patient. Friends I know in the medical profession..it's a different perspective and your head is veiwing it differently.. so it is a benefit to be told things as if for the very first time.

So with all the risks involved...you will probably need to be creative with caring for your kids. That's where being in med field helps, because it is probably a part of your nature :) And you will find an equally exciting and creative activity for you and your son to share.

You found a great site here with info and people who care and have gone through some of your situation before and will probably respond with some ideas you have not yet thought of.

You are not alone! Write here anytime..vent.. whatever.

And the search on this site may bring you to previous posts that may be helpful to you re' your situation.

Take care and please let us know how you are doing!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,593
    Welcome to Spine Health ...

A couple of questions and maybe some food for thought.

Besides the new physical limitations that your doctor mentioned .... What is the "plan of attack" to return you to as much normal function as possible?

Did he suggest PT - ESI's (Epidural Spinal Injections)- Nerve Blocks - medication(s). Your post left me with a feeling of .... this is the way it will be ... no treatments .... change your lifestyle.

In that same line of questions - How did they diagnose the congenital spinal stenosis (a chronic situation) and how did they explain this actue exacerbation?? X-Ray? Cat Scan? Mri? Emg? Mylogram?
    diagnostic injection?

Have they reccomended any medication(s) muscle relaxants - "nerve meds" such as Lyrica - Neurotin, Pain meds, Surgery - etc?? What did they say about your ability to continue to perform your work responsibilites.

As a medical person you know the importance of a proper diagnosis - and then a plan of action(s) to treat-mitagate the effects of the pathology - maybe it was my speed reading but I didn't see much along the lines of comprehensive diagnosis and a treatment plan that will allow you to be able to get back on the coaster with your son PRN.

Just Wondering - wonder if you are wondering the same?

Dave
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • and welcome to Spine Health.

You are young to be facing these problems, but I think that when the spinal canal is congenetally small, sometimes it shows itself even earlier than for you.

I have been told that I have a small spinal canal which means that my degenerative problems show earlier than if I had more space.

Do they have a plan for you? I wondered if they could do a laminoplasty or laminectomy on the worst levels to improve things for you. Have they said what the prognosis is?

With my cervical stenosis they are doing careful watching and waiting to see how things progress. My next appointment is in April next year. Meanwhile I am not allowed to do any contact sports and can't run.

I am sure that there will still be lots of fun and exciting things you can do with your children.

You have found a good place to get information and support. Welcome :H

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i just stopped by say hello and how glad we are that you are here!! you have your share of challenges with 3 active children.. good luck with your pain issues.. please feel free to stop by the forums at anytime!! there is always someone around..Jenny :)
  • Hi there,

Just wanted to say welcome. Wish you weren't here (heck, wish I wasn't here) but this group is very supportive and is there for me when I'm down and there to let me share words of encouragement.

I know you won't get to ride the roller coaster with your son BUT you life will still bring you the feeling of being on a roller coaster (fortunately or unfortunately) with back/neck issues.

And, a Physical Therapist put things in perspective. "It isn't that you can never run again, it's that it is on the bottom of your priority list. If someone were chasing you, you'd run". This has helped me tremendously b/c I feel as if I didn't give everything up but had to de-prioritize it. The thing with your son and the roller-coaster is that you will still bring him to the park, you will be there to capture the expression on his face before the ride, hopefully snap a picture while he wizzes by you, and then his face after the ride. You can still share a special moment and guarantee he will put a smile on your face b/c he will share the experience with you through his own words.

advertisement