Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fusion screws "break"

fusion screwsffusion screws Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain
To all neck fusion patients.Make sure what kind of hardware is being used..

• Had a c2 t2 fusion 9-13-10,less than one year depuy screw breake's in half.Now fusion is down to t3 with more problems to talk about..
  • I have had 22 spine surgeries from Cervical to Lumbar region. I am now 51 years old and disabled due to chronic spine pain. I have DJD or Osteoarthritis and DDD. ALL my surgeries were needed and I always had a Neurosurgeon and Orthopaedic Surgeon evaluate me. (I have them on Retainer...lol ).
    My last surgery 4-1-2008 was on my Lumbar region at L3-L4. They did a TIF Procedure ( Translaminer Interbody Fusion) and took out my Lumbar Pedicle screws from earlier surgery at L4-L5. The Pedicle screws were Stainless Steel, which was a major problem since they scatter test results like MRI Scans, regular x-rays and other tests. This last spine surgery, my Orthopaedic surgeon took out the L4-L5 Pedicle screws, and then proceded to work on L3-L4 Diskectomy, foraminotomy, and then put in Titanium Pedicle screws after the fusion. I now am fused from L3-L5 and the fusion looks great. The Pedicle Screws are intact and also look great.
    I have been through hell with my spine and ALL my surgeries.
    THE IRONY: I was a Professional Pharmaceutical Representative for two years before having to leave due to injuring my lumbar spine (Also studied Pharmacology and Biology in College). I have a gift when it comes to pharmacology...go figure.
    After having my Lumbar Region examed and tested I did not require surgery at that time.
    I went to work for The Veteran's Administration Hospital, Research Wing later. I worked as a Technician IN SPINAL CORD SURGERY REASERCH and learned quite alot. I have read many articles, books, and done surgery on spines that was used in a custom built machine that did 3D Analysis of the spines Biomechanics. Trying to come-up with better spinal systems. I KNOW to much and glad I do!
    Will be more than happy to assist someone that does NOT understand the spine and chronic pain. I am NOT a M.D., but probably have more knowledgable then some I have used in the past, especially when it comes to Pain Management Physicians.
    TO ANSWER about breaking Pedicle Screws, it is very hard to do if placed correctly. THERE is no room for error when putting them in the Pedicle of the Vertebrae. It is always done under Fluoroscopy.
    I apologize for this long post, but this is my first reply or post on Spine-Health. In helping others, it also helps me as well. I do NOT know it ALl, nor do the Surgeons, Pain Mngt.Physicians, etc...
    Take care everyone.
This discussion has been closed.