Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sacroiliac Belts

mrmerckmmrmerck Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
I have read the symptoms of this condition and have self diagnosed(ha)myself with this condition.I see where there are a number of belts sold for this condition.

1.Do they work/help?

2.If so, which belt works best?

Many thanks!

• If a sacroillac belt substantially reduces your pain, then most likely that is what is whats going on (this is the main way my physical therapist determined my si joint issue). This said, SI joint problems are usually caused by lack of movement in your lower back and/or hip which causes a chain reaction to your si joint. For me the belt helped quite a bit, but it wasnt enough and I had to go in for si joint injections, which helped a ton for me.

I have been given two belts from two different pt's and both were the same brand, Serola. I hope I never have to use mine again because the amount of pain that I had from my si joint was out of control. Good luck to you.....Mitch
  • Yes, the belts do help. My SI dysfunction is secondary to a chronic hip problem that seems to defy diagnosis. So every few months when my right hip gets aggravated, my right SI joint acts up and I end up with a very stiff/painful lower back for 5-7 days.

The Serola looks like a good belt for the money and I use a very similar belt (Pro-Tec). A sports oriented physical therapist is now recommending the Breg BOA SI Belt - it looks really good but it's a bit more money. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and check it out.
  • I got a belt online at Amazon recently for quite a reasonable cost. It was worth it, but again, no miracle cure. I can only tolerate wearing it for 3-4 hours and it does help support that very sore area.

I am probably go the route of injections or nerve abulation at some point.Although I haven't had much success before with injections.

The belt is a cheap, easy pain relief solution with no side effects, so it might worth a shot ( no pun intended) before going the way of more invasive procedures.

Good luck

• FWIW, I wear the SI belt throughout the day and it's not uncomfortable at all. It definitely adds significant stability and I think instability is a main factor in causing my SI joint to periodically go "out". To me, wearing an SI belt is like wearing an elastic knee brace when you have a bad knee.
  • i wore my sacriliac "corset" that had rods that went half way down my butt for a few weeks when i first got it and then was told by my doctor to keep rotate having it on and off a few times during the day. he said that my core was weak, which contributed to this SI pain, so he didn't want me to make a habit of wearing the belt all the time because it would keep my back weak due to inactivity. for the time i used it did help me.
  • I ordered a very reasonably priced belt from online, and think it really helped me today, my first time wearing it. I had my first SI joint injection on Tuesday, which also helped some. But I think the belt helped more. It felt comfortable all day, but by evening it felt too tight, and I removed it. Pain came right back. I was definitely able to walk more quickly and for longer period of time with the belt on at work today.
  • Was able to take a shopping trip to two stores -- something I've avoided for ages -- and had minimal pain getting in and out of the pickup truck, walking, standing, etc. Very happy with this belt! Wish I had tried it a long time ago.
  • Belt definitely helping. Pain returns when I take it off at bedtime. Should I try wearing all night? Tried last night, and couldn't get comfortable.
  • barrygbbarryg Posts: 4
    edited 06/27/2012 - 3:03 AM
    After daily use of a ProTec SI belt for about 4 months, the velcro tabs started to tear so I decided to try a Serola SI belt as a replacement. The Serola belt seems like it will hold up a bit better than the ProTec. Unfortunately, it's overly simplistic design makes it cumbersome to fasten. Both belts seems to do a good job. I don't think I will be buying the Serola again however.