Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had RFA today

EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 926
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:58 AM in Pain Management
I had my first experience with RFA today. I'll admit I was pretty nervous about what pain I would have during the procedure.

I had it done in the doctor's office. I took 5mg Valium right before the procedure. Honestly, the only thing I think the valium did was made me a bit dizzy.

He did the procedure on two levels, both sides of my back. At first, he shot me with lidocaine to numb up the area and then did the RFA. The actual procedure was almost pain free.

As soon as he was done, I was moved to the waiting area and that's when the lidocaine began to wear off! After getting home, the pain was about a 7, close to an 8. I took a Percocet and went to sleep. I woke up a couple hours later and my pain level was about a 6.

Since then, I went grocery shopping, made dinner and cleaned part of the house. Pain level right now is about 4-5 with percocet on board.

I'm hoping most of the discomfort will be gone tomorrow morning.

Keith
Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement

Comments

• I am simply amazed at how much better my back feels. I was able to move around work today without pain. I can't say how long it's been since I could say my pain level was a (0), but I think I was there today.

Hopefully, it will stay this way for a while. Maybe my body will get a break from pain medicine for a while.

Keith
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    It's so great to hear great outcomes like yours!

Best of luck to you!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Glad to hear the RFA did the trick for you! It is an amazing experience when we get those little glimpses of little to no pain. What a gift it is! Happy for ya.

"C"
  • Great to hear and hope the pain relief lasts for you. I'm hoping to get that procedure when I get into the hospital pain center. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I was wondering how it went for you - sounds better than mine did...RFA's are great when they work, unfortunately the nerves usually grow back but enjoy the relief for now, glad it worked for you!
  • Hey Keith!

So glad to hear that your RFA went well! Hope the effects last months for you. I had one done on the 20th as well on my SI joint, and so far, so good as well. Congrats, and hope the new year brings less pain for you!!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I was pretty nervous about it going in, but I'll have to say the PM and his staff did a great job of explaining it and informing me what to expect afterwards.

Though the procedure itself didn't hurt too bad at all (must have used a lot of lidocaine!) right afterwards it did hurt pretty bad. I don't want anyone to have the impression that the whole thing didn't cause some pain.

I'm still feeling pretty darn good with an occational issue when I bend the wrong way causing mechanical pain at the fusion site.

Hopefully, the nerves will take their sweet time growing back!

Keith
  • Long time no chat! Glad to hear you found something to give you relief.

Angie
  • Hi Angie!

It has been a long time! I took a break from SH for a while and when I came back, I didn't see any of your posts. I wasn't sure if you were still posting or not.

It's good to hear from you again;)

Keith
  • What is RFA and why does someone have it done?
  • Your results make me somewhat more optimistic about RFA. Really i'm ready to have it done, but have a couple more hoops to jump through before it can happen. Im not worried about possible side effects even a little bit, for some reason. Pretty sure they would only try to burn a nerve if it was sensory only, and wasnt needed to control anything. Should be ok just so long as the doc has a good aim....
  • The day of the procedure you'll feel pretty crappy. I think what helped me was getting up and moving around.

Don't be afraid to take any pain meds you have after the procedure. It didn't take me two seconds to hit mine as soon as I walked through the door. It helped take the edge off.

Good luck!

Keith
advertisement