Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Revision L/4 L/5 on the 27Th Dec

bergbberg Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had an ALIF done back in 10-09.

I've done everything I could to avoid having to go thru all of this again.

I quit smoking prior to surgery (nasty useless habit),I even wore a BGS for a year starting at 12 months out,all to no avail.

So here I go again,this time with instrumentation.The only thing I haven't decided on is whether to use BMP or a combination there of,or to just go with the gold standard.

To tell you the truth I'm really not looking forward to the post OP pain,that was really ruff the first go round,of course I was in really bad sorts when I went in the first time, maybe this time it will go a little easier

Like all of you I just want my life back.

Wish me luck.

• So sorry you're having to do it again, berg. I know it sux bigtime.

I hope that because you have been through it once, this time won't be as bad - as I totally agree with you that the post-op pain was really intense.

Trust in your doc and make sure that your pain is managed properly, or have a family member be your advocate if it's not.

Will be sending good thoughts your way!
  • Sorry you're having to go through more surgery and the long recover again.

Sounds like you're healthier than you were 2 years ago. I had my surgery at about the same time.

I had an ALIF with cage, plate, screws and BMP and it's been fine. I still have pain issues with the levels either side of my fusion, but they were there prior to fusion.

Hope all goes well for you on the 27th and that recovery will be easier than last time.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Bunny,Trish I appreciate the positive thoughts it really does help coming from people who know.

Well I've got 4 days to go,I wish it was over with already,I'm getting even less sleep now than I did before and that wasn't much.

I probably won't get any sleep the last day.
    I'm anxious to get this fixed finally,but at same time I'm scared of the unknown,the what if's and of course the things I do know,like the post op pain.
  • Are you using the same surgeon? What are they doing with that instrumentation that is there already?? I've only seen one other person with that style hardware, so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Are they thinking about just taking bone from your hip this time?? What imaging did they do that confirmed that you are not fused?

I know that you must not want to go thru this again. I so wish you the best!!!

• No I'm not using the same surgeon,he dumped me after my first post OP visit,closed shop and became a professor in another part of the state.
    The surgeon I have now specializes in non-unions.

The hardware thats in me is all staying.He's going to loosen-up my hardware and refill it,to the best of my understanding anyway.How? I don't know,and I'm not sure I want too(now anyway).
    I don't think it's going to be to hard it's all loose already.
    He's also going to add screws and rods to help stabilize that section.

As far as imaging he's had me run the gamut with XRay,MRI,CT,CT Meylogram as well as other tests.
  • I remember being pretty scared of the unknown, but I had a top surgeon and put my trust in him.

That's a strange looking bit of hardware that you've got in, but it sounds like this surgeon will be able to help you and stabilize L4-5.

You've only got 2 days to go now, and even though you know what's coming with post-op, with sufficient pain meds, it may be easier than last time, or that's what I hope for you. I was sent home with Gabapentin, Oxycodone and Oxycontin and stayed on that for about 6-7 weeks.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Well tomorrow is the big day and oddly enough I'm feeling quit calm,I'm ready to get this over with.
  • you all the best tomorrow Berg! Glad to here that you are feeling calm about it all the day before.

Have you decided if you will be using your own bone or not? How long will they be keeping you in the hospital?

Look forward to hearing from you during recovery.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I decided to do the combo my bone and BMP.
    They said 3 to 10 days,I'm shooting for 2 to 3,I want to be home for the new year if I can