Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op PLIF 2 weeks ago - is this normal? - pickle?

BunnysnaxBBunnysnax Posts: 36
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello fellow spineys!

(PLIF L5-S1, total Lami, Decompression on 12/5)

I know most of us are not docs, but we do have personal experience! So, I wanted to ask the folks who have had these posterior fusions a question...

I do plan to call my doc tomorrow, but wanted to check in here since it's after hours and I'm a bit weirded out.

So, yesterday was my 2 week post-op appt, says I'm just a little bit behind where I maybe should be, but still well within expected norms. The incision is also healing beautifully and he expects I should fuse well because I "have great bones" - so he said immediately at post-op.

Well, for the length of the incision (like 4-5")- it is swollen. Like, the only way I can think to describe it is that there is like a "pickle" under the skin! LOL! :OO

There is no fever, no redness at all, no drainage, no nothing, not even excessively painful to press a teeny bit...

like I said, the incision itself is truly beautiful. It is paper thin and looks like it'll be near invisible when it finishes healing, but I just have this pickle - which I'm guessing is just a bizarre-looking, but (hopefully) natural type of swelling. I mean, I guess the swelling takes a while to resolve, but it looks so strange and is uncomfy with my brace, which even seems to encourage said pickle as it's a chair-back brace and the incision is between two bars... :?

So...has anyone experienced such a specific swelling under their incision like this? Anyone else had a "pickle" type swelling? HAHA - omg - that sounds so odd to even ask!

Thanks so much for your thoughts! :X

• When I had my alif done the incision felt like there was a piece of rope under my skin right along the incision,it took awhile but I can barely feel it any more.
    If that's what you mean by pickle.
  • Hiya berg!

Yeah, mine is a similar feeling, like there's a stick or like a wooden dowel under the incision. But, I called my NS this morning and they said that the bizarre swelling is very likely due to the type of brace he has me in.

It's a chair-back brace, which has a set of 4 padded bars in the back. My incision lies between the two center-most bars, so I guess that pressing on either side of the incision, pushed all the inflammation in towards the center, swelling the incision area more than usual. Hence - the "pickle."

But, he won't allow me a diff kind of brace. Granted, this one was custom made for me, but damn. So basically, he said don't wear it all the time, only when I get up and am moving around/walking.

Just wanted to update in case anyone else ends up with a really strange looking swelling under their incision like mine. O:)