Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie from NC, just saying hi & basic info

jsj_297jjsj_297 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all, I am a new member here, but a long time back pain sufferer. I was injured on the job in May of 2010, lifting a patient on a stretcher. Since that evenin my life has been turned upside down. I'm a workers comp patient, and have had 5 MRI's, multiple X-rays, CT myelogram, (also had to have a blood patch 2 days later, yuck!!), 2 EMG's of my right leg, and most recently as of yesterday, my first complete nuclear bone scan.

I suffer from terrible low back pain, right hip, lateral thigh, lateral calf, goes anterior tibia, into my superior foot, and into my 3 middle toes, and my big toe being completely numb. I don't sleep well at night and have been on the entire spectrum of meds it seems. Im sure I don't need to exPlain that to anybody around here.

Long story short, I apparently need a 3 level fusion surgery from L2 through L5. I've undergone 8 epidural steroid injections, 6 months of PT, 2 chiropractors, multiple medrol cycles, 2 facet joint blocks, and have seen no improvement. I'm actually worse now, 19 months after my original injury. The surgeons Have said "well a 3 level fusion would probably fix you, but you don't want that, so I won't recommend it", and "your too young for that type of surgery". So here I sit, hoping and praying my nights away that somebody will fix me, or at least attempt to.

There's my story, pretty long and drawn out in sure, but y'all know me now! Any questions, concerns, or comments are welcomed!!! Thanks for letting me share this with you all!!

• Sorry, I left out the most basic of details, I am a 33yoWM, I used to work as a MEDIC-EMT & 911 EMD/EFD Dispatcher, a lifelong volly Firefighter, rescue tech.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...are going through. I've never been given surgery as any kind of option..so can't relate to that.

But there are many kind people with a variety of experiences and I'm sure someone will be coming along who can relate to that.

I should look it up, but what is up with the toes? I get that too and it is the weirdest feeling..and weirdest looking thing happening with my feet. Freaky weird! :)

With your intro of difficulties I can only imagine your frustration level. Not good to have the pain, but good you are here.

Just having people who could relate has helped me immensley. The pain can be crazy making and trying to navigate through this process of trying to get better..well ..let's just say..I'm not always in a good mood. :)

Hopefully, you will find some info here that is useful to you and the search on this site has helped me to look up stuff and read past posts.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

And I do not want to forget to thank you for your service in risking your life to help others.
    As a firefighter, you're a hero in my book!
    Take care!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

I can't tell you how many medical and firefighters we have here that have been injured on the job. You folks really work hard and I'm sorry for what's happened to you. You'll find others in the same boat here.

There are also a lot of people who say the same thing - that their surgeon says they're too young for surgery. Seems you have to be in your mid-40s for them to even consider it, but in my book, if you need it you need it. Additionally, being a WC case doesn't make it any easier at all. That's a nightmare.

Can you get another opinion from another surgeon or are you limited due to WC? If you're worse after all the conservative measures, then something needs to be done. I assume you're not working?

I'm sorry for all you're going through and understand the desire to get back to a normal life. It's too bad they're not letting it be your decision whether to have surgery or not. It would be different if something helped, but after all you've gone through, it looks like surgery would be a good option for you, even though that's a big one at 3 levels.

Again, welcome to Spine-Health and please keep us posted.
  • Thank u all for the wonderful replies!! Being a firefighter is a calling, not a job IMO, it never was "work" to me. I am in and out of work still, I have been retrained as a 911 call taker/dispatcher. But let me tell ya, sitting for 12 hour shifts is NOT really a long term viable option IMO. This is an absolute nightmare scenerio on WC, they are all snakes in the grass just waiting for me to make a mistake, or find something else wrong with me. Hiring a lawyer was the best thing I ever did for myself. They told me 3 months after my Injury, that nothing was wrong with me, and he didn't understand why I couldn't go back to working on the ambulances/fire trucks..... Lol