Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Latest MRI

ohmybackoohmyback Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I had an MRI this week of my lumbar and thoracic. It's been 10 months now since my 2 level lumbar fusion. According to the nurse (didn't speak to the doc) my lumbar looks great, and I am fully fused, no other herniations or issues. Doesn't really explain why my back still hurts so much. I am thinking of starting massages or something. I feel like an 80 year old woman. Very stiff and painful virtually all the time.

As for the thoracic MRI, I have no herniations or anything, but she said I have a hemangioma on my spine, which I was told not to worry about because it's not serious, and I could schedule an appointment to talk to the doc about it if I wanted to. Of course I googled this only to be surprised by the info I found. Has anyone had this?

I have been having gastrointestinal issues since my surgery, as well as an aching under my sternum that wraps around to the upper middle of my back, making it feel a little difficult to breathe. I constantly have low level nausea. I never had any trouble with my stomach before the surgery.

I am glad I have no more herniations, but in some ways I feel worse than before the surgery. Has anyone experienced any of these issues. It is affecting every part of my life, and I am starting to question my decision to have ever had the surgery in the first place.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...going through.

I never had surgery, so can't relate there,
    but pain and the nausea all the time.

I was wondering if your doc would do EMG to see if or what other nerves were/are involved.

That was most clarifing test for me. It's not really fair for doc to think he is done with his job if you are still suffering.

Or maybe pain management doc instead of surgeon.??
    I dunno...but I wouldn't give up. I would keep looking for pain relief..at least to take the edge off.

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Sorry you are having pain. Do make sure you speak to your doctor. Heck, I need to take my own advice.

I had 2 MD's and nearing the 2-year mark on the 2nd one. I'm having significant pain, especially at night. I had an MRI and based on the report and my GP, looks generally as expected. I'm thrilled that the levels above look status quot. My bad level is still bad, degenerating, modic changes, and scar tissue. I often times feel like a 80 year woman as well. But, I'm going to call my neurosurgeon this week to talk to them. If they won't set up an appointment, my GP said he will refer me to someone local to see what my options are. My GP doesn't know my surgeon. I adore my surgeon but he is very conservative and he doesn't like to waste my money (again, which is why I like him).

But, do yourself a favor and talk to the surgeon. If you are hurting, there is still hope that a professional can help. I'm still hopeful that I can figure out a better way to manage my pain flare ups.

Anyhow, not sure I help but let us know what the doctor says.