Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my first one yesterday...

Sadie83SSadie83 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Spinal Injections
I had my first ESI yesterday. I'm doing better than I was before the procedure, but now I'm noticing hints of the same pain I was experiencing when I move around. (sit down, stand, shift my position while sitting) Could this be a sign of it wearing off or just part of the "discomfort" after getting a shot like this?

I thought an epidural injection was right on the actual spine, maybe I'm thinking of child birth epidurals.. but my site of injection was more towards my rear, kinda closer to the spine/tailbone part of my lower back. What's the difference between an ESI and a selective nerve root? I could have sworn that the doctor said it was an ESI but now I'm doubting if I heard him right. I wasn't sedated, and they used a "live" x-ray so the Dr. could see where the needle was. He did tell me that it was a steroid. Ugh I'm so confused. :(

It didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I felt the pinch and then a burning sensation that lasted a few seconds. Then I kind of felt a scrapping/a little burning weird feeling, which I assume was the medicine and the doctor moving the needle around?

Only thing that is really bothering me right now is that when I walk, I have this painful sensation on the inside where my right leg meets my body (groin area) and I only feel it while walking, it makes me limp a bit as I don't want to apply too much pressure. Has anyone experienced that?

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...with the term epidural, also.

I've had several now. And in variety of areas up and down my spine. From what I understand, it depends on what area they are trying to control the pain.

And the groin pain...yep. I looked on ..deradome.. spelling probably wrong..but that kind of mapping and it seemed to match up with what doc said was wrong with my spine.

That mapping is on this site if you type it into search it should pop up. Thankfully, searches usually help with the spelling. :)

Hope you have a pain controlled day!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History