Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do Nerves heal?

FishSticksFFishSticks Posts: 8
I'm suffering from a herniated disc L4S1. The MRI showed that it was a large impingment on the nerve root. My left foot has a been sore & numb.This has lasted a little over 5 months . At month 2 I got an epidural with a little effect.
At month 5 I got a micro discectomy from a high skilled and very regarded nuro-surgeon. He did tell me the nerve was inflamed from being compressed for so long. Well now that the disc is free from impingment, How will the nerve react?
Is it beat up like a flatten garden hose? I sure hope it can recover from such abuse. I've looked around on the forums, but no one has much expertise on nerves (back).
I do see my nuro-surgeon for my post-op appointment for many questions and my condition, but any thoughts are very welcome.

• What did you find out? I had surgery on L5 S1 in November. Everything seems ok and on track. I just don't like the numbness in foot and the achey tired feeling back of thigh towards end of day. I wonder if I am not doing enough or too much. Does twisting ever so slightly to unroll toilet paper do damage. From what I was told the nerve "was just clobbered." There was no reflex in foot.
    I had my gallbladder removed a month after the back surgery and really don't want to do anything wrong to have another surgery!!!
  • Nerves they say heal for up to 18 months to regenerate. Some dr,s think longer.

If its not healed after the 18 months or slightly longer then its damaged for good more likely, Mine never healed after 8 years now and nerve damage is the hardest to treat,

There is no cure just pain control with medicarions or nerve srimulater implants, and many times tropical creams to help control it,

Nerve damage with spine is diferent from many other type of nerve damage elsewhere,

They can only free up the nerve with spine but cant fix the nerve once its damaged and for this reason many suffer and never totaly recover after surgery,

Merry christmas and good luck!
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Yes, nerves can heal (or regenerate). But it can be very slow...I forget the rated but I have heard it can take 12-18mons but that while some believe it can take even longer, after 2 years it is likely the damage is permanent.

I don't know but I had a really bad rupture, 2 micro-discectomies and am almost 2 years out and never got feeling back. But I was an extreme case. I know lots of folks at did get feeling back. The foot is farthest from the root, so they say that can take longer than numbs closer to the source.

Let us know what your doctor says.