Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Glad I found you all!

rowanberryrrowanberry Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I have posted a couple of times - feeling brave now! This is the first time i have joined anything like this and I am so glad to not feel so alone.

I have had back pain for 4 months and for the last 2 months it has laid me up. I am now off work. I'm 43 year old, female with two children at home and a very supportive partner (he's had flu and is still trying to run around and do everything!)

I am having good days and bad days. Not got up yet but think this might be a good day - I am going to attempt some shopping. :)

What is interesting is I am from the UK and I have read loads of posts about people getting all sorts of tests and seeing doctors. It's not like that here. They wont do anything until you've had the pain for over 3 months. I didn't even bother with the GP until a month ago. I've not even had an X-ray.

I have now had some Physio, seen a (rubbish) chiropractor and have pain meds from my GP. I have been refered for an MRI - which will take between 4 - 6 weeks to come through.

I have a suspected herniated disc or compressed vertebrea, it affects my left side more although when it's bad it's everywhere. I have limited movement forwards, to the left and backwards. Some days I can't walk without holding onto furniture etc, Sitting makes the pain much worse, but on bad days EVERYTHING makes the pain worse. There is constant low ache and acute sharp pain on top when I move. Pain radiating into my left leg.

Pain meds are Codine and paracetamol, and Diazepam for night - although I don't like the feeling of that so not taking it every night.

I would just like to have contact with people who are also going through this. I wish you could show people back pain - I had no idea it could be like this!

Anyway that's me. Going to get up and go shopping!!! I am acutally excited although I'm sure to suffer later for it.

Happy Christmas!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ..If it wasn't for the pain that brought us all together...so pain not good...but glad you found this site!

You are an encouragement to me, also...as you said.. just in knowing I am not alone in this crazy, hard to explain, world of pain. :)

Enjoy your Christmas, Amanda!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• hi and welcome to the forum!! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i have several friends from your part of the world, northern ireland and wales!! i am so glad you have dropped in!! i am glad today is a good day for you but sorry you are having bad days.. i do understand that the medical sysytem is quite different over there.. i am sorry you are not reciving adequate care.. i hope that changes for you!! good luck! and Happy Holidays!! Jenny :)
  • Hi

I am also from the uk. I had a herniated disc about 5 years ago and had a discectomy. I am at the moment awaiting an MRI scan as i am having problems again. Have you tried Gabapentin for the leg pain, it helps me alot.