Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Migraines from Cervical Herniations

katmisonkkatmison Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Alternative Treatments
I have several herniations. C5/C6 down thru T1/T2 and L4/L5, L5/S1. I am waiting for my appointment in January to find out if I am surgical and if so what type of surgery. I also at this time would like to do everything possible to avoid surgery at all costs. I have done facet joint injections, epidural injections, RF, discogram, and 20 appointments of PT as well as therapeutic massage. I am in slightly less pain than originally but still in severe pain. I am going to continue the PT and injections while I wait to find out if I am surgical and whether I want to do that. In the meantime, my physical therapist recommended acupuncture for my migraines. I've always had migraines, but these are worse now that I have the herniated discs in my neck which I believe is causing all the pain. Massage therapy helps, but only temporarily for like 12 hours.

Has anyone here had success with acupuncture for headaches? I've also read chiropractors can help the pain but then I read not to go to a chiropractor because it can further herniate the discs. Which one is true?

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Sorry about your headaches. I'm not able to say re' your herniations and possible surgery.

You should probably ask your doctor what he thinks. I have read that any kind of spinal issues should be discussed with doc before chiropractor starts to manipulate.

Since you have to wait for consultation appt.. might help if you let doc know you need better pain control in the meantime.

Hope you feel better.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I also have H/A and migraines. I went to a headache clinic set me up with preventative daily meds, trigger point injections and meds for the daily migraines. this course of treatment is slow but I can definetly say that it is helping. The trigger points have been the most help. I have my whole neck fused now, so I know where your at Bless you!