Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just wanting to vent

Kara1623KKara1623 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Depression and Coping
I found out a week ago that I had ddd and get the pleasure of having PT for 8wks 2-3 days a week. My doctor won't tell me how bad my back is or if I hurt it working. I just got a job as a cna about two months ago and I thought I was doing fine when all of a sudden I hurt my back trying to save a patient from falling by twisting wrong. Needless to say it started work comp bs that was a run around. Comp doc said it was all in my head and put me back to work. Within a week I hurt it again, but this time I didn't tell anybody. I went to orthpedic group and they ordered mri. The next day they call me and tell me I have ddd and the doc was gonna put me on 10# lifting max. My employers wouldn't let me work so I had to use 4 days of sick leave to heal. I called my doc after 4 days were up begging for them to take me off light duty because my job was constantly calling asking my status which was begining to make me have panic attacks and started feeling depressed which I have been fighting both for two years now. Thinking my job was gonna fire me if I didn't come back to work soon. My mistake for thinking of my job first my boyfriend second and of course me last. I've only been to work for five days and everynight my back pain seems to get worse tonight I'm up at 2:30 feeling like knives are stabbing and twisting around in my back. It makes it hard to sit, stand,lay, or anything. I need meds that arent over the counter. I can't see my spinal doc until Pt is over which is around March. I don't think I can wait that long think I might do something worse just to make the pain go away. If You read all of this thank you it means alot.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of information throughout the site and the members of the forum are very helpful, knowledgeable and supportive. This is a good place to vent.

I'm interested about your MRI. We all (not just here, everyone) has DDD to one degree or another, it's just a matter of it's symptomatic or not. There may be a 60-year-old with DDD that has no symptoms, whereas you might have a 23-year-old who does. So that, in and of itself, is not necessarily a diagnosis.

What else does your MRI say? What else does your doctor say? Are there any bone spurs (osteophytes) or bulging/herniated discs in your lumbar spine? There's also the possibility of spondylosis, stenosis, facet joint problems, etc.

I'm sorry that you're in so much pain and that you aren't able to find any relief, but hope the PT helps. There are many nurses on this site - it's a very tough job and so hard on the lower back with all the lifting and twisting that's necessary.

So if you have more going on that DDD, please tell us and we might be able to help you more.

Take care and please keep us posted.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Sorry about the pain and all else you are going through.

I am not sure why you can not call your spinal doc before March. Usually if anything comes up..ie pain, or fall,..can call doc for earlier appointment.

But I had a little similiar, where as, when my whole spinal situation began, I thought free of pain meant I could go back to the lifting, twisting, etc.. way of work and life.

But I was wrong. The pain was managed, but the spine still injured. So the pain was a reminder to not do the more harmful activities.

As Cath said, you need to know more specifically what is up with your spine.
    And I would encourage you to take care of yourself first...on that list you had. :)

If you don't take care and injure your way out of your job...you may get a get well card..but they will not give you a second thought once you've been replaced.
    Sorry, but that's most businesses.

But mostly you only have one spine. We need to take care of it the sooner the better. The longer you stress it...the more it will scream at you later.

Please let us know how you are doing. You aren't alone in this painful and confusing situation. Vent anytime!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I don't know what kind DDD I have The Doc assistant is the one who told me my dx was DDD and told me the doc wanted me to do 8 weeks of therapy then he will see me again in March. I keep trying to do my nurseing job but I work in the dementia unit where I get hit often where I just pray if they're gonna fight they will hit me anywhere else but the back. I know that's a pretty messed up way of thinking but I'm afraid if I hurt my back worse I won't be able to keep the job that I love so much. I do knw I need to be more careful especially since I don't know how bad my spine is. I do know I don't have a herinated disc. I think I might call the doc again and try to get an appt, so I can know once if for all what I really have. Plus the pain has moved into my side of my neck is swollen.
  • Welcome to spine health! Please do take care, especially if you are still trying to work...be careful. I too hurt my back over a year and a half ago, doing a patient transfer. I attempted to try to work for awhile after, and made matters much worse.

What area of your back did you have the MRI on?

Hoping that you are able to get into the doctor sooner, and get some answers.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hey ouch yea I finally talked to my charge nurse who is awesome at my job and she told me I need to take care of myself because I'm making myself worse and putting residents at risk for having to much pride about losing my job or something like that. I'm gonna look at other available postions and see I can handle some of them and apply.
  • Ok It's 5:00AM haven't been to sleep yet I'm so stressed out right now that I'm thinking I'm losing my mind. I knw I can't go on like this being in pain and bringing stress home from work with me. I have been working as a cna for about a month and it's way too hard for me. Having to lift patients and having to learn how to do my job is very stressful for me mentally and physcially. I don't know what to do I'm literally in tears. I don't know what to do I think I might have to quite my job, but I don't want to because I love taking care of people. I have ddd but this isn't what this post is about. Can you lose your short time memory with a spine disease just curious? I hate to be a complainer but damn why me whenever I take two steps foward in life I get 4 steps back. I hate being depressed
  • It hurts when you worked hard to be able to do a job and have issues like you are having. Stress and pain can take a toll on the body on top of the back issues. Stress and chronic pain can cause depression or make it worse, as can certain meds. They can also affect your short term memory.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • It sure has put a toll on me being in this condition and on monday I'm gonna have to H&R Dept about trying to find different department to work in. I just can't do what I use to be able to do not without the risk of hurting myself worse. I just pray God will give me an answer on what to do with my back because I'm struggling to keep afloat. The Docs didn't prescribe me any meds just told me to take alieve & other over the counter meds that don't seem to be doing crap for me.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    I hope all works out for you with HR. Try to stay hopeful to have another position that you don't need to heve physical movements of residents.

And keep having good communication about your pain. Let him know how things are or are not working for you.

Good luck!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hey I want to share happy news I Just got through a 16hr shift of lifting