Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery today

Newton35NNewton35 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm having surgery this morning (tuesday). I've gone from feeling cool and collected although nervous to full panic. Kinda like hang on, this will be fine by itself and just let me the hell out of here! Suddenly all those risks that they mention (to avoid the risk of suit if the surgery goes to hell I guess) but hearing all about risks for full on paralysis neck down, hemorrhaging, causing accentuation of trouble to death... Not helpful.
Which it of course won't be. Fine by itself that is.

Can't sleep. Surgery is at 6 am and well, I'm not sleeping. Busy telling myself that I won't die. I've had over ten back surgeries but have never felt this absolute kind of I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS. The depth of the emotions surprised me.

Just needed to "tell" someone...

• Here to offer a virtual hand to hold. Exactly one week from now (surgery scheduled 1/3/12), I'll be in your same position. I hope that by the time you read this, you'll be recovering with your fears safely behind you -- and that your recovery will be swift enough to allow you to come back next week, same time, to hold my hand and remind me that it's going to be ok.
  • By now you should be 'under the knife'. Just wanted you to know that we're thinking of you. Post whenever you're feeling up to it OK? You're gonna be fine! :)
  • I hope you are resting now and everything has gone perfectly. Come back when you are ready and let us know how you are feeling.
  • Hope your surgery went well and that the pain control is working.

Let us know how your surgery went once you're well enough to post.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • are on the other side now! Wishing you all the best!Have a smooth, pain reduced recovery!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Oh, sorry I didn't come on here when I was awake last night in the middle of the night. I am glad you shared your secret. I hope that all went well and your recovery is quick.

• Hope you are doing OK...I was pretty freaked out the night before also...glad I had to wake up at 4 am to leave for hospital since I couldn't sleep. Two weeks post-op today. Doing much better than I anticipated.

God bless and take care...let us know how you are.