Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF buddies - Nov.'11 - Feb.'12 surgeries

BuelaBBuela Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My surgery (2 level, C5-7) is scheduled for one week and a few hours from right now. Yes, I'm stressing a bit (hello, 3am!) but overall I'm ok.

I'm realizing that I'm getting a lot from reading the posts of other folks who very recently had or very soon will have this surgery. The posts from others who had their surgery a longer time ago are of course very helpful as well, but there's something about connecting with others who are right in the middle of this with me.

So... let's buddy up! Talk about what you're doing, how you're doing -- surgery related or not.

Me, today I drove over 2 hours each way to pick up an almost-new electric recliner/lift chair that I bought from someone on ebay for just $100, leaving Spouse and the grandkids (5 and 15) behind with long cleaning lists. Tomorrow I'm paying a duo recommended by my friends who own a B&B, one who is an obsessively detailed cleaner who I'm going to let loose on the bathrooms, kitchen, and several few "spring cleaning" type areas, the other who is a strong like bull handy-person who will help me do a lot of physical reorganizing (such as putting the garage back in order from where we piled/pushed everything to one side in order to get a car in when Irene visited a few months ago, and getting the massive super-heavy TV out of the second floor hallway where it's sat for several months). Based on recommendations from here, I've bought a reacher, a child-proof pill organizer (5yo in the house, but I don't trust myself or anyone to remember if/when I took my meds), a good blender, a shower chair, a cantilevered book/iPad holder, and the first dozen or so J.D.Robb books. My parents are coming Wednesday, and are currently planning to stay at least two weeks after my surgery, to help around the house and with the kids who need lots of transportation to various events and activities (note to self: get anti-anxiety meds to help through 3-week long visit from mother). I'm not worried about making a lot of food in advance - by the time my folks leave I'll have a much better sense of what I'll be able to do or not do, and I can get my mom to either make (or help me make) some stuff that we can just freeze and eat: Spouse has many wonderful qualities, but cooking is not one of them, and when she (quite sincerely) told me that I don't need to worry so much about not being able to cook for a while because she's perfectly fine eating frozen dinners for a month, I knew that my only hope for real food is to cook it myself!

Anyway, I'd love to hear plans, results, activities, or even just chatter from anyone else who just had or will very soon have this same surgery.

• Hi there...I think I chatted on another thread of yours, but wanted to give my input. I was TERRIFIED of the surgery, but my pain level has been significantly less than I anticipated.

My first two nights home I slept in the recliner with my collar on...the surgeon called the next day to see how I was doing. Specifically, he said do not sleep in the recliner (more blood flow to the neck/healing when lying in bed) and do not wear the collar to sleep. He actually only wants me to wear the collar if I am a passenger in the car or out walking (which I do several times a day).

I had severe nerve compression in my right arm prior to surgery, and have not had one episode of tingling since I woke up! Thrilled...

I did buy throat lozenges and brought them to the hospital but have never sucked on them. I thought I would have a 'sore' throat...but really, it was swollen...hard to swallow much at all. I ended up getting dehydrated and fainting 4 days after coming up, and had a fun trip to the ER in an ambulance with a very cute paramedic! Started drinking gatorade after that...I highly recommend it. The blender is great...had lots of slushies/smoothies. The swelling in the throat gets better on a daily basis. Today I ate cheerios for breakfast, had a pbj sandwich for lunch (which was a little hard to swallow), and chicken and rice for dinner...with ice cream for dessert!

Not to be gross, but I have had a real problem with constipation...be careful. I tried stool softeners, laxatives, metamucil...but eventually had to do an enema. Pain meds are constipating...and I'm not even taking that much.

The Occupational therapist in the hospital actually sent me home with one of those grabbers, which I have not used at all. I am able to shower without any issues (we have a built-in bench, but it hasn't been necessary). I have even started to do the laundry! We had meals prepared ahead of time, and friends/neighbors brought dinners which was helpful.

My husband and I also super cleaned the two days prior to surgery...and now I am beginning to notice the dust has built back up. :) We'll be taking down Christmas this weekend...we decorated very lightly this year, and I will be supervising. We'll do a light cleaning...I feel like I could dust. And I have swiffered our tile to pick up dog hair already.

I had my two week post op today...no driving for 2 more weeks, no PT for 2 more weeks...but overall I am doing great.

My biggest issue actually happened today - I was supposed to start wearing my bone growth stimulator ($5000 equipment) around my neck...and it's heavy and put so much pressure on the area between my neck and shoulders, that I literally was in tears. I don't see how I am going to wear that for 4 hours a day for 6 months. One call in to my surgeon's office and now waiting to see what we can do.

Lots of lounging clothes, tank tops that pull on easily, and a couple of zip up sweat jackets have been my wardrobe. I finally started wearing a bra the other day, but again, I can't have it on the right side so it just hangs off my shoulder.

I have been taking a valium at night to help me sleep, which the doctor said I need to get off of. I actually have not taken any pain meds (percocet) today at all, just Tylenol. Ice helps, and I use a heating pad sometimes too.

Good luck with the folks...that would be hard on me!! :) Honestly, the hardest thing has been being so dependent on everyone. I can't really even take a walk without someone to go with me. I also can't walk my 75 lb. lab...which is hard. I go with him on walks, but can't hold the leash. I had my first real outing yesterday to Target!! Fun, but hard to look at stuff wearing a collar! :)

I know this is rambling...lots of thoughts. I hope some of them are helpful.

• Hi!

It's constantly disconcerting to me to see the wide range of recommendations and requirements that different doctors have for patients undergoing nearly-identical surgeries. My doc has made it clear that I have to wear the brace 24/7 except for showers for at least 4 weeks, plus I'll have a bone growth stimulator that I'll need to use 4 hours a day -- I'm going to keep your comments in mind, and see how it is when I go in to get that plus my collar fitted tomorrow morning!

I'm one of the odd ones who isn't having ANY pain that's directly from the reason for my surgery - only secondary pain due to my leg weakness, since my nerves/nerve roots aren't compressed at all, it's just that my disks are pressing into my spinal cord. I'm having to really get myself ready to deal with the fact that my pain level is not going to go away quickly at all, but I'm ok with that (for the moment, anyway!).

That swollen throat - how do you take your meds if your throat is that swollen?!? I did invest in a really good blender, and my mom is a great smoothie maker. A good friend also recommended adding chia seed to everything, because it has both high protein and high fiber. I definitely know already about the constipation risk so I'm already taking fiber supplements daily and up that dose when I am on more pain pills.

I think the biggest issue for me is going to be with complying to what my doctor says I can or can't do - according to the nurse I spoke to, I'm not allowed to raise my arms for at least two weeks. THAT's going to be tough.

We did the super-cleaning over the past few days -- I had hired someone to come in yesterday and help, two people actually, one to deep clean and one to do heavy work, but they bailed on me, so not nearly as much is done as I'd have liked but I'll live. .

My local bestie stopped by with a bag of flannel shirts and a cute pair of PJs, plus my mom brought me some more flannel shirts to wear, so those plus my sweatpants and sweatshirts will be my uniform -- and definitely no bra!

And your rambling is definitely helpful to me -- please ramble even more!
  • Home from surgery. Feeling better than expected in some ways, worse in others. I don't know why I was so surprised that one of the biggest issues with swallowing isn't from my throat being sore from being pulled over - it's from the incision itself. And I'm just aching everywhere -- I feel as if I am recovering from a major way-over-did-it workout of every muscle in my body, and it really hurts to move. Right now my neck hurts far less than my whole body.

I also really regret the chair I purchased -- it's a lift chair, but it's very firm and doesn't recline very far at all and I'm just not going to be able to use it for sleeping as I'd hoped - I bought it on ebay, plus the sellers were kind enough to meet me halfway (they were a 3.5 hour drive away) so I couldn't try it out first, and just never thought to ask how far back it reclined. Hopefully I can sell it on craigslist or ebay for what I paid for it. I'm going to try and find a used regular recliner in the next day or two, since I don't feel as if I could comfortable sleep in a bed, either. As of 1am (right now) I have no idea how I'm going to get to sleep tonight.

I also feel that I'm going to totally lose my nut having to wear this brace 24/7 for 4+ weeks, and not just for the sleeping.

I'm CRANKY as all hell, and sent my family upstairs as soon as I could reasonably justify it so that I could have some time to myself. Fortunately I'm a lot better able to get around than I'd expected, so I'm able to get that time alone. I know that they only want to help but I just feel so ick and there's nothing they can do to help and their wanting to help so much just makes things worse.

I am glad that I invested in an expensive book holder that I easily adapted for my ipad without buying their special ipad adapter. It swings out of the way easily, holds the ipad at my eye level (easy to adjust), and will hold books at eye level as well. I'm typing this at my regular desk though -- but I need to raise my laptop or get a second screen to mount higher.

Word of advice: Even if they tell you that you don't need to bring the extra brace liners to the hospital, bring them -- in case you, like me, end up puking and getting some in your brace. Yeah, seriously no fun.
  • I will be having ACDF C6+C7 on Jan 11th. It helps to talk to someone who has had this surgery. Any advise others can give is a big help. This site is great. I am a bit scared about the upcoming surgery and the recovery. Reading what others have been through, helps calm me down a bit. Take care, Karen
  • Hi Karen,
    You are right, this site is great! I stumbled upon it a few weeks prior to my surgery and was so encouraged! I was TERRIFIED...but honestly, it was not as bad as I expected. Prior to surgery, I had frequent numbness/tingling in my right arm from nerve compression...I am thrilled to report that I have not had one instance of it since surgery! I am very happy that it was successful.

A few bits of advice I picked up from this site that I can pass along:
    Have button front tops or loose tanks to put on, flannel pajamas, sweat jackets, etc. You won't be able to pull anything over your head for a week or so.
    Have plenty of stuff like ice cream, pudding, yogurt, jello, applesauce, broth...etc. When they say you will have a sore throat, that really doesn't describe it. You will have difficulty swallowing...but at 3 weeks out, I can eat almost anything now without any trouble. I did live on smoothies the first few days...also, pick up some gatorade. Good electrolytes to keep you from getting dehydrated, and they make good slushies.
    I was fortunate to have my church family bring meals for about 10 days, and my husband has been super helpful. Also, I'm 49, so my kids are older and able to help out.

I only had to wear my collar in the hospital. I actually slept in it the first 2 nights home, but my doctor called that Saturday to see how I was doing and said he did NOT want me sleeping in it. I read a lot about people sleeping in a recliner...which I also did the first two nights, but again, but doctor said no...he wanted me to lie flat so more blood flow goes to the area for healing. I only wear my collar if I go out for a walk or to the store, and when I am a passenger in a car.

My pain has been minimal. I only took one pain pill (percocet) 3-4 times a day for the first 10 days, now I just take 1/2 pill 3-4 times a day. I did have a problem with constipation(sorry)...but stool softeners and metamucil are helping with that now. I was told not to bend or stoop for 6 weeks...that's also very hard to follow.

I had a hard day yesterday - it's difficult to be isolated, etc. Everyone has stuff to do, and I'm a bit lonely. I am dependent on my husband or son to take walks with me, and I have to be driven places (today my friend took my to Target...so much fun!). I got 3 books at the library, so I am reading, and people have loaned me movies to watch.

Being patient is tough - honestly the only time I have cried is when I am frustrated by my limitations. I imagined the pain would be much worse - I had lumbar surgery 5 years ago, and this was much less painful. I was truly terrified to have this procedure, but knew that if I didn't I risked permanent nerve damage in my arm.

I go back to my surgeon next Thursday, and hope that he releases me to drive and to start physical therapy.

Let me know if you have any other questions...you can private message me if you like.

Take care and best wishes!
  • Hi there...
    Sorry about your sore throat...that's such a wrong description. I tell people it felt like I had a tennis ball stuck in there...and I was so bruised! I was scrubbing and scrubbing, thinking it was betadine...lol. I don't have any pain around my incision. Most of my pain is in my shoulders...like muscular pain. You might be sore from the throwing up...I threw up/dry heaved for about 5 hours after getting to my hospital room. My abs were so sore.

How is the collar working out? It's been in the low 80's and when I go on walks or the occasional trip to Target I am so sweaty! I can't imagine wearing it all the time. I think I figured out a way to wear my bone growth stimulator...I use a travel pillow, backward...so the round part lifts the electronics off my chest and the ends of the pillow fit under the straps that go over my shoulders. I've actually worn it for 4 hours 3 days in a row!!

I'm so sorry about the chair! I definitely like my recliner, but have been sleeping comfortably in bed - however, I don't think I could sleep in bed with a collar on. Good luck with all that!!

Be patient (that's me, giving advice to myself) and appreciate the help you are getting. Reading some of these posts from people who live alone makes me sad for them. My husband has been amazing...I think he really understands how much I do to maintain our home and family. :)

You will feel better EVERY day...I promise. Just don't do too much, rest, etc.

Take care and God bless.

• OK, next round of advice/experiences:

-- if you're on steroids for the inflammation, remember that they can make you into a total emotional trainwreck, on top of something that is emotionally difficult to begin with. I realized that today when I had a very major meltdown over my spouse having a brief moment of being less than perfect when asked to do something, and it was likely behind my extreme crankiness last night as well. Just be prepared for it, and be prepared to forgive yourself for it as well.

-- related to this, make sure that your caretakers are taking care of themselves.

-- herbal tea with lots of honey is my late-night friend.

-- It's cold here and yet the collar is causing a lot of irritation under my chin. My mom picked up a strip of fleece material from the fabric store today, and I strongly recommend that you be prepared with something like this as well -- I was just lucky that my parents decided to go to a town 50 miles from me which has the closest fabric store to our rural area, and would have likely have had to sacrifice some article of clothing to do this otherwise. I just had her get a 1/8 yard strip of some ugly crap on sale, and keep it tucked inside the chin area and it's helping a LOT.

-- I'm remembering now why I rarely watch TV and yet my brain isn't up to much other than that.

-- If you give your mother permission to organize all your plastic storage containers and toss anything that doesn't have a match, make sure that she realizes that the screw-on lids are actually matches to insulated glasses stored in a different area, and that those little things that look like they're containers without lids (or lids without containers) actually snap together. ::grin:" alt=":grin:" height="20" />: Thankfully I was able to look through the bag before she pitched it.

-- If you have little kids (my youngest granddaughter, who we're raising, is 5), especially if you're normally the primary caregiver (singing of night-night songs, giver of baths, etc.) be prepared to both give them the time and attention they need to get over being freaked out about what's going on, and for others to do everything they can to take over. For us it seems as if a balance of consistency in her routine and changes in her routine are working out the best - for example, letting her sleep in her big sister's room for a few days is helping her through not having her normal night-time routine with me.
  • tigerbear17 said:
    I will be having ACDF C6+C7 on Jan 11th. It helps to talk to someone who has had this surgery. Any advise others can give is a big help. This site is great. I am a bit scared about the upcoming surgery and the recovery. Reading what others have been through, helps calm me down a bit. Take care, Karen

Me too! What time is your surgery scheduled? Mine is at 1:30. Will you be going home the same day? I'll be in the hospital at least one night but the PA said my sensitivity to pain might make it hard to get any under control so who knows if I will have to stay 2 nights.

I've had 3 surgeries in 2010 and they were usually in the morning. Going to be nice not having to get up with the chickens this time!

Good luck Karen!
  • Thanks to Buela and Jan. I hope you both are feeling better.

Thanks for the tip about bringing your extra pads to the hospital Buela. I'm going to put them in my overnight bag. Funny about the television-I watch very little of it now and since Comcast removed Turner Classic Movies from basic cable I am really bummed. Luckily I have a huge collection of DVD's and reading material.

Jan-I'll have to ask my doctor about the sleeping. Laying flat makes sense-I was going to sleep in the recliner.
  • It astonishes me how dramatically different the recommendations can be from doctor to doctor. My doc advises very much against sleeping in bed for at least the first week because the strain it puts on your neck to get up and down from a bed is far greater than in a recliner or even just on a sofa, which is usually lower and has the back and arms to help you push yourself up. I also can't imagine having a doc who only wanted me to wear the collar for a very short time -- I may be bitching about the collar, but I honestly would be petrified to be without it.

I think the bottom line is to do what feels best for your body, based on the input from your doctor.
  • Not to get too TMI but one of the smartest choices I made was to start taking stool softeners with a mild laxative as soon as I got out of the hospital. I'm also trying to sneak as much fiber into my foods as I can, even though I'm still mostly sticking to softer foods -- and I've fallen in love with chia seeds as a fiber/protein supplement (yes, ch-ch-ch-chia seeds - they're really yummy!). Right now I'm drinking a chocolate banana milkshake with a couple of big spoonfuls of the chia seeds mixed in -- I crushed them in the blender first, and let them soak in milk for about 15 minutes, and they add just a mild nutty taste/texture to it.

The main point is that for the first time ever after surgery/longer doses of pain pills, I've managed to avoid severe constipation. Definitely be very proactive about making sure that your bowels keep moving!
  • I have major problems with constipation when I take those medications. My problem is that the narcotics don't work for me-I was told I have a high sensitivity to pain plus narcotics don't work that well for nerve pain. I was discussing that with the PA in my NS office the other day and she said that might be a problem in the hospital if I can't get the pain under control(which I've not been able to do)That's one of their criteria before they discharge you. My pain doc even tried MS Contin which did nothing.

Anyway, when one pill didn't work I would dose up and before you know it I was constipated. When I get really bad my intestines don't move and I can't even drink water without vomiting. In August I got that way and had to go to the ER for dehydration. So I worry about that. The stool softeners never worked that well so I have some senokot on hand just in case.

My Dad was telling me that I will probably be in pain after the surgery. I told him it couldn't any worse than the pain I endured when this first happened and for 4 months afterwards. I can't imagine any pain being worse than the pain of a herniated disc.
  • That sounds awful! Yes, I've had horrible problems with constipation with prior surgeries and with pain meds. Since I was released from the hospital, I was taking the max dose (4 tablets, 2am and 2pm) of a stool softener PLUS stimulant laxitive every day (2 morning, 2 evening). I never felt constipated, and I also had a fairly normal BM today (3 days post surgery). I'm going to switch to one am one pm starting tomorrow, then switch to just stool softeners plus other fiber supplements a few days after that. I'm addressing the potential for constipation the same way I'm addressing the pain: Namely, that it's something I have to seriously address BEFORE it becomes a problem, and not wait until I'm really feeling it to do something about it, at which point it will be much more difficult to manage, as well as make me feel far worse than I want to feel!
  • how is your recovery? I'm having a 2 level next Wednesday and have some jitters. Coming here and reading everyone's stories helps somewhat but I guess the jitters are normal.

My surgeon is a trauma/acute care neuro surgeon-one of his specialties is spine surgery/cervical stenosis so that makes me feel better too. When I went for my MRI on Wednesday there was a man there that had surgery for osteoporosis that was performed by some orthopedic surgeon here who is considered one of the best. Well, the pins he put in the poor man came loose and he is having some major problems-can't even walk. My Dad saw his xray and he said his back was a mess. After hearing that I am so glad that none of the orthopedic surgeons here took my case.

My doctor gets excellent reviews on Healthgrades from other patients. It helps to know you're in good hands.

• Ugh. I have enough experience (personally and from reading) to know that it's normal to be feeling even worse in a lot of ways -- both physically and emotionally -- at this point, four days since surgery, but knowing that it's normal and that I'll get through it doesn't really help all that much. I just feel like crap. I couldn't sleep, which of course makes things worse. I'm achy all over. I'm starting to have some pain at the back of my neck (diffuse ache, not any specific sharp pain) which is more of a general muscle ache than anything truly worrisome but it's enough to really put me on edge, it's not quite time yet to take more meds and no way am I going to risk taking them more often than I should (we're raising our two grandkids due in part to their mom's pain pill addiction so no way am I walking that path). My stomach is a mess that no amount of tums or prilosec seems to be soothing.

I just need to whine and hope that someone gets it and can give me a few head pats.
  • My surgery on Jan 11th is at 9 am. I have to be at the hospital at 6 am. Hopefully I can go home that day... My surgery is supposed to be an out patient. I have a BAD reaction to anesthesia !!! I always get sick, so who know's they might keep me overnight. Good luck to anyone who is having surgery soon. I hope we can all chat about our experiences, and give each other advise and understanding when it's needed. Take care, Karen
  • I am almost 4 weeks post-op now from my 2 level ACDF. For the most part, it has been easier than I anticipated. I did throw up for 5 hours after surgery (which was bad), I did faint and have to go to the ER 4 days after I got home (for dehydration) and I did have some horrible constipation(my husband actually went out Christmas morning to buy an enema...I hadn't really had a bm in 10 days), BUT - the pain has been minimal. MUCH LESS than I anticipated.

I spent one night in the hospital, 2 nights in the recliner, and have slept in bed since then. As Buela noted, the disparity on 'instructions for patients' is dramatically different for everyone. My NS (who is also a trauma/brain surgeon) did not want me to wear my collar unless I was outside walking or riding in the car. I wear it when I go to Target or Costco, and I wear it at church...as a reminder for me and a warning for others to give me extra room.

My pain has been mostly muscular - back of my neck and in my shoulders. I use ice and heat (more ice). I have to wear a bone growth stimulator now for 4 ours a day for the next 6 months and HATE it. I haven't started PT yet, but see my surgeon on Thursday and hope to be released to go back to work p/t, to drive, and to start PT.

I cannot imagine having this procedure if I had small kids...my son is 17 and it's been hard on him. Hard on my dog too, who is used to 'mom' walking him several times a day. I am just now holding his leash when I walk, but always have someone with me just in case (he's 75 lbs).

The hardest and most frustrating thing for me has been the dependence on others. I was told 'no bending or stooping' for 6 weeks...really, how can you do anything without bending or stooping. I hate having to ask others to do for me, and I am ready to start feeling better - but when evening rolls around and I am tired and sore, I realize I have a long way to go.

Tigerbear and Poochiewoochie, feel free to private message me if you have any questions. I have been so blessed by the information and encouragement I have received from this site...I am happy to 'pay it forward.' Buela - hang in there...every day will get better. Really. And, I have also been very emotional, I think it's just a combination of things...but don't think you're crazy. :)

Praying for you all~
  • Thanks Jan.Glad you're feeling some what better.

My surgeon is also a trauma/acute care surgeon. I was referred to him by the ER. I have to ask about the collar-12 weeks was said but can't be sure. When I went to the pre op appointment it was a lot to take in.

• Good luck with your surgery :)
  • PH Mom said:
    As Buela noted, the disparity on 'instructions for patients' is dramatically different for everyone. ...

The hardest and most frustrating thing for me has been the dependence on others. I was told 'no bending or stooping' for 6 weeks...really, how can you do anything without bending or stooping. I hate having to ask others to do for me, and I am ready to start feeling better - but when evening rolls around and I am tired and sore, I realize I have a long way to go.
    See, I don't have any specific restrictions on bending or stooping (only on lifting more than 5 lbs, or keeping my arms above my head for more than a moment) but that's likely because of the collar, which I'm told I'll have on for just 4 weeks unless there are problems at my first checkup. If I were facing 12 weeks in this thing I'd likely lose my nut - I'm just one week in and it's getting better but still the idea of being in this another 3 weeks makes my head spin. I'm at least sleeping better now -- I've gone from an hour or two of sleep followed by 2-3 hours awake, to 3-4 hours sleep followed by less than an hour awake (and then time to take meds again, which I admit I am doing very regularly at night though not as consistently during the day, because I need the sleep so much), so that's good - sleep's good.

I completely hear about really hating the dependence on others. My folks are here to help out but I kicked them out for a few hours -- supposedly for their sake but really more for mine. And yet, just the simple act of putting on a sweater turned to be impossible (or at least impossible without hurting myself).

I'm trying today to get some things done that require a bit of mental focus and that's just as frustrating as the physical limits. I keep telling myself: I'm one week out from a huge insult/trauma on my body that's going to affect me in a big, big way, I'm on meds that are going to seriously negatively impact my mental focus, while mostly off other drugs (oh blessed, blessed caffeine) that might improve my mental focus but also increase muscle tension so I'm limiting myself to just 1-2 cups of tea/glasses of iced tea/soda per day. But I did at least get one thing accomplished today (some software installed) and I'm going to allow myself to let that be enough for today -- the other stuff can wait until tomorrow.

I'm also recognizing that boredom is creeping in and that's going to be really dangerous for me, because as I get to feeling better (especially once my energy level gets better, I taper off the meds, and I'm just feeling better overall), I'm going to be less and less likely to be as careful as I should about what I can do for myself. The last half of the month, once my parents leave, will be the real challenge. I'm actually trying to convince my [recently divorced and clueless as to what to do with himself] brother and a [stir crazy from too much mama time] friend to come and hang with me for a while. I feel guilty about that as well, considering how little I can do to entertain them or they can do to entertain me, but at least if someone's here I'll be less bored and will have someone to do stuff for me if I need it.

• I notice that you have your surgery tomorrow.

Hope that you will manage to sleep tonight and that all will go to plan tomorrow and that you will wake with good pain control.
    Then it will be over to you to allow your body to heal.

We'll be here to cheer you on throughout your recovery.
    Hopefully you will then be on your way to a more comfortable and active life.

• Got a call this morning that surgery has been moved up to 9 tomorrow instead of 1:30-have to be there at 7. Better because then I won't have such a long wait.

I have pudding, jello, popcicles, ice cream, eggs, instant mashed potatos, cranberry sauce(love it!) spinach, yogurt and malt o meal. I've been reading up and want to be prepared in case I do have problems swallowing. I plan taking a shower early tonight then watching Tabatha's Salon Takeover. I take seroquel to help me sleep so I don't think I'll have too much problem.

Good luck to Karen too! Her's is tomorrow too!
  • I'm glad you are doing better, Buela. Sleep is good - I took naps for the first few weeks, but no longer. I am sleeping pretty well, I take one full percocet, but am off the valium (which I took the first 2 weeks, and was pretty sad when that ran out!).

I didn't do too much 'mental' work the first weeks, hard to even read. I watched TV, dozed, checked facebook...but nothing too challenging. :)

The boredom is tough...so nice to have friends stop by, even for a short visit. And, I live in southern California, where we are having very warm, dry weather, so my outside walks are nice. I actually had a friend/co-worker come take me for a 'date' today...Starbucks and a pedicure! What a special treat..and my toes look great!

I agree about doing stuff you shouldn't do because you are feeling better - 16 days after surgery I was helping my two sons with yardwork (my husband was gone for the day). I absolutely should not have done that, kept telling myself to stop, but it felt good to be doing something productive. Just be careful. I am really trying to ask for help (like last night, getting the rice cooker down from an upper cupboard)...it's hard for me to ask, but I know I need to do it.

I'll let you know how my post-op visit goes on Thursday.

Until then,
  • I have to be at the hospital at 6 am tomorrow for my surgery. The surgery is at 9am. I hope I have everything done around the house...I got all the nice soft things I should be eating. Cleaned and straightened up everything I could see. Had my hair cut and my nails done too. Good luck to poochiewoochie, we both are going in for surgery tomorrow morning. I wish everyone else a speedy recovery. I an not sure when I will be able to update, I kind of hunt n peck at the keys...LOL Take care and god bless, Karen
  • Karen...
    Praying for you and poochiewoochie. I know that I was so nervous the night before surgery but had so much peace the morning of - 4 weeks ago tomorrow! I am glad you are prepared, that will make your homecoming easier. I did my hair and nails too before surgery, which was nice.

Sleep well, and may you feel God's presence and peace.

• My thoughts and prayers will be with those of you who are having surgery tomorrow!
  • I know I won't be able to sleep tonite !!! Just going to stay up. I will be drinking all the water I can get till midnite.
  • I took 2 seroquels and I'm starting to feel tired and if I stay up the whole night I will want a drink of water after midnight and might even get hungry so I'm going to try to go to bed in a little while.

Did they give you hibeclens to wash with? I have a bottle I got from ebay-those packets the hospital gives are too small for a regular shower.
  • Just came up with a must-have for neckies: A chopstick, both for scratching (carefully) under the brace and pulling your hair out from under (since no matter how hard you try, if you have even 1/2 long enough to get stuck under the brace, then it will find a way to get tangled and stuck under the brace!).