Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op Back Pain

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in New Member Introductions
Please Help me! I had a laminectomy (L5_L4-L3) December 9th 2011 I am home convalesing The Problem I had was spinal stenosis and my doctor told me that using every other option to try to help it and not working that surgery was the only help left. I thought I was doing ok but my post op pain is sometime unbearable I dont sleep well at all Doctor gave pain med of tramadol & gabapentin I am done with Gabapentin and tramadol will be over in a couple days
Taking Ibprofen I am also a diabetic (type 2) every once in awhile my left foot gets real cold for awhile but eventually does warm up what's with that Can use advice How long will this pain continue I feel as though I am losing my mind at times! Thanks

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are having such severe pain after your surgery.. everyone feels post-op pain differently but if your meds are not covering your pain and you are unable to sleep you really should speak to your surgeon.. he should be made aware if you are in such extreme pain in case there is a problem! please have a look around the different forums including the "Recovering from Surgery" forum for more input!! stop by anytime, the forum can make a long day go by alot faster!! please keep us posted!! good luck with your recovery!! Jenny :)
  • to Spine Health.

I agree with lulusheart that you should contact your surgeon and let him know that you are not coping with the pain, and about your cold left foot, especially as you are a diabetic.

You are still very early in your recovery, so hopefully things will settle down and you will start to feel much better soon. It is worth speaking to your surgeon as hopefully he will reassure you that it is all normal, but he should decide that.

You will find this a great place to get information and support from others who have suffered with similar problems.

• Welcome and yes, agree with the others. You are early in the recovery and if you are still hurting, give the doctor a call. He may want to see you again before the next appointment.

Sorry you are still hurting but back surgery is a doozy. Especially seeing as they touched 2 levels from the sounds of it.
  • Thank you all for your advice I did call my doctor I am healing but the pain is just going to last awhile as back surgery is very invasive and delicate He did give a script for pain med I hope it works as I have so much difficulty trying to sleep and without sleep and rest it makes it that much more difficult to heal. Any other comments most welcome
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Don't like to give out pain meds. but they do figure that after prescribing the minimal. You'll call right away if your in pain. And if the second one isn't working for you. He fells you'll call right away, again.
    But, he can't read your mind. And there is no sense in you putting up with excruciating pain.
    Who ever screams the loudest, and fastest will be taken care of.
    You say he's got you on tramadol for pain management after a major surgery..........What a joke! But I'm not a doctor. Just a guy that's had a lot of surgeries.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Saw my doctor prescribe pain med it has been three weeks today that I had surgery pain still pretty intense and I am feeling very depressed is this normal still feeling as though I am losing it!
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

Yes, it's very common to have intense pain only three weeks out from a lumbar surgery. You're still very early in your recovery - it sometimes can take as long as 6 months to feel like you've improved enough to move around normally. And it can take a year to feel normal again.

Please try and be patient. Recovery from this surgery is a long road. If your doctor has given you some decent pain meds (hopefully stronger than Tramadol), take them on schedule to stay ahead of the pain. Once the pain gets ahead of you, it's very hard to get it back under control.

For example, when I was in the hospital after my L4/5 fusion, I was on a morphine drip. On the second day, I forgot to press the button and ended up in excruciating pain. My nurse came in and got upset with me because I hadn't pressed the button on time and she had to give me a double dose injection to get my pain back under control. She was a fantastic nurse and just didn't want me hurting as bad as I was.

So, take it easy, try to relax, take your meds and walk when you can, little distances at first and then a little further as you can. Then rest again. Your body is fighting hard to heal and sometimes the nerves get very angry after surgery. I was worse in the first few weeks after surgery than I was before, but it got better after about a month. Try to measure your progress in weeks, not days - it's a long road, as I said before.

Take care and hang in there. It will get better with time.
  • seems as though I trade one problem for another the pain meds are working but my left side knee and leg hurt and experiencing swelling in my foor is this normal? I swear this is making me lose it Really hurts and feels like foot is like tingling and numb and tight etc HELP!