Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

narrowing of the right C5-6 foramen

saradebssaradeb Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am having pain, in both arms as well as weakness in both arms, that has been going on since July 2011. The pain is down the back of my left arm, from above my elbow down to my wrist. The pain in my right arm, is from my elbow down to my wrist. I also have weakness in both arms, and they are numb and tingle, from time to time.

My MRI showed "no evidence of any significant intrinsic cord lesion or extradural compressive lesion". However, it did say that there is a "question about narrowing of the right C5-C6 foramen". I have been referred to a Neurologist, for nerve testing.

Does anyone have experience with this or something similar?

• It sounds like you will be having nerve conduction studies and possibly an EMG test done.

I have had them done on my arms, and was nervous after reading others's experiences. They weren't as bad as I had feared. The nerve conduction studies did make my arm jump with the electric shocks but they were tolerable. The EMG used a very fine needle into the muscles, but again it was tolerable. I did have little bruises afterwards and was a little bit sore for a day or so.

I wouldn't worry if I had to have them again.

It would be interesting to hear how you get on and what they find. I was told that I didn't have compression at the wrist on either arm, nor at my elbows so my compression was in my neck.

I wish they had also tested my legs to let me know what level was causing my symptoms there.

Good luck with the testing. :)))
  • The pain in my arm was linked to my neck. I have gone through EMGs. As Jellyhall said, it was uncomfortable but bearable. It's good that you are seeking answers to your issues. Best of luck.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi...I also had right shoulder/arm pain, numbness/tingling - that ended up being due to many issues in my neck. My neurosurgeon also sent me to neurologist for EMG Nerve conduction study, which confirmed foramenal stenosis (which, along with bone spurs showed in my mri). Basically, the nerve roots which go from the spinal chord to the extremities were being compressed. My NS initially hoped to do a 2 level foramenotomy, but after a CT myelogram showed more issues in my neck, I had a 2 level ACDF 3 weeks ago. I have not had any numbness/tingling in my arm since I woke up from surgery!!

Best wishes...keep us posted.