Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions for all you cervical surgery veterans

jakeysnakeyjjakeysnakey Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello and Happy Holidays to all.

I'm 51 and have had a number of neck issues since my 20's that led me to fusion of C6-C7 discs in 1992 and then another fusion surgery in 2010, that time C3-C4, with metal plate screwed in for stability. I've had my pain ups and downs over the years and have tried everything from physical therapy, exercise, massage, pain meds, to psychotherapy. All has helped somewhat in varying degrees over the years. Now I find myself with debilitating chronic pain with an appointment to see a surgeon again to go over my recent MRI. I'm totally depressed at the thought of a third surgery and am ready for any and all non-traditional means of dealing with my screwed up neck. Until now I've been able to deal with it all and still work full time but it's wearing me down and I've missed a ton of work and other events and activities. So, anyone who has tried acupuncture, yoga or anything else please give me an idea as to how effective it was/is. I'm ready to go Eastern medicine (or Southern, Northern, whatever)

Thanks in advance
advertisement

Comments

• I can't advise you of alternative methods for control of pain, although I have weekly physiotherapy which I think is helping me with pain and definately helping with my range of movement.

I will be interested to read of other's advise here.

Hope you find something that will help you.

• I recently have started accupuncture. I had my 4th session today. I definitely feel something happening when the needles are inserted sometimes, and afterward. It is interesting to hear some of the philosophy behind it. I was recommended by a couple of doctors to try it. If it hurts it's momentarily. I'm interested to see how this all works out.

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Looking forward to doing it actually - will bring you a report on the experience.
  • Hi Jakeysnakey

I had 14/15 treatments of acupuncture from patches you wear to the ones you light,I found they relaxed me but had no long time effect on my pain,in some instances the pain was worse due to the insertion of needles into muscle that had tightened up into a pea sized knot.Ouch Not for me

I have a friend who's been going for 10/12 years now and swears by it,he has not had any surgery.

I was put onto a TENS machine by my physiotherapist,this was much better and you can walk around with it,again not a cure but relief whilst switched on.Do not pick up the pads if switched on it will make you jump into the next room.find a good one if interested.

I now am waiting for an anterior cervical decompression at C5/6 with bone spur removal.I'm fed up now so have opted for surgery

I have also had nerve root blocks and denervation of nerves,all to no avail.

Best of luck if you find something let us all know.

Des.

desb63
advertisement