Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion hardware protruding

cmunkiccmunki Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a spinal fusion to correct Kyphosis about 17 years ago. Within the past 6 months or so, I've noticed that the hardware at the very top of my spin (just below my neck) seems to be protruding -- it looks like a bump and my neck and the area around the hardware hurts quite a bit. I've been ill for several months which has left me nearly bed-ridden, so I'm certain my muscles have atrophied. Has anyone experienced hardware showing and causing pain? What did your doctor say? (I'm uninsured right now so can't get to the doc.)

Thanks very much for any insight! This is really scary for me.

• My father had visible protrusions on his spine. The dr. told him that normally they would remove them but because of my father's poor health they didn't feel like they wanted to risk a surgery.

One quick thought-if you've been ill, is it possible that you have swollen lymph nodes and that is the swelling you feel? Sometimes enlarged lymph nodes take years to return to normal size. Your neck has a bump? Are you talking about the front of your neck where your adam's apple is? That could be an enlarged thyroid, too. I understand you have no insurance but is there a low income clinic you can see a dr. at? Not your spine issues, but these bumps and swellings just to rule out lymph nodes or thyroid enlargement. I think you have to go to SOME dr. to get checked out and a surgeon may pass you off to your primary dr. to rule out things first anyway.

At lot of these low-income clinics have a referral network set up with local not-for-profit hospitals or university medical centers. After that clinic dr. evaluates you, he may be able to refer you to a surgeon to take a look. Sometimes there is a contract between a local hospital and these clinics where if the clinics will see the small stuff and screen the other problems so they go to the correct dr. Then the agreement might say that the big medical center will accept the sliding scale income amount that the low income clinic does. These clinics also usually have a social worker on hand who might be able to help you with a medicaid card or some other way to pay the surgeon.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My hardware is very pronounced. As my niece says everytime she sees it " Ewwww gross". Per the good doc all the muscle and tissue have died which is causing it to protrude so bad. My surgeon does not feel we need to remove it at this time. It is posterior on my neck so I can cover this up with my hair. For now it is causing no issues so all is good