Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help! Now bladder issues after lumbar and cervical spins surgery

hisbeauty4asheshhisbeauty4ashes Posts: 182
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi all, I had no idea where I was suppose to post this!

I am a mess right now and am so undone.

I had spinal fusion L5 S1 and a cervical fusion in four levels.

I had the lumbar fusion in 2007 then partial removing of hardware in 2008 do to right leg pain. Then this year I had the rest of the hardware removed on the left. I also had four neck surgeries with hardware removal. Over the last two years I had a urination problems. So I went in because it cost worse and did an intense study and now they are saying I have nerve damage because of the back surgeries. So now I have to start wearing a Catheter because of loss of control.

HELP! I have two things going on I will have to have a spinal Stimulator because narcotic's is not what I want to live on because I have allot of bad reactions to pain med's so it is my last resort now I have to wear a Catheter! I am so angry how could this be possible hello I am only 44 yes only that is young in my book! I have another foot surgery this month which makes it my 7 foot surgery on the SANE FOOT!

Has anyone had a bladder problem do to spine surgery?

Please tell me your stories to help me understand what is going on with me.

• Spine and bladder--my problem is a direct result of my first cervical spine surgery. Most bladder issues come from the lumbar area though.

I just want you to know that even though using a catheter is very depressing at first, you can learn to manage this quite easily and discreetly. The urologist will put you on some sort of a schedule, perhaps every hour or two for self-cath. After a few weeks of getting used to this, it becomes very easy and just an annoyance. For me, if I didn't cath quick enough, I would have a full blown flood, so wearing a good pad was important. I learned that if I drank 8 ounces of water or soda, I would need to cath within 20 minutes. If not, I would not be able to control it and would end up with a mess. All the testing showed that I had a neurogenic bladder, and that all the kegel exercises in the world would never help me to have more strength with the sphincter. I would get frustrated when people would relate their pregnancy weak bladder stories and tell me that kegels helped them. They did for me too when I was having babies--this is a whole different situation. Okay, enough ranting there.

Once I learned to self cath and put myself on a routine of every couple of hours, things went very well. Work with your doctor and you will learn to manage this. I'm so sorry for what you are going through, and I understand the humiliation of peeing your pants in public, etc.

Thankfully at this point I have had some improvement in this area. I still have an issue, but as long as I remember to go to the bathroom regularly on my own, I am avoiding the leaks or floods (for the most part). I don't routinely cath now, so that is wonderful, although I still need to on occasion! It has been 5 years since my initial problem, so it has taken a long time to heal. I hope it doesn't come back!
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!