Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

notsonnotso Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi...I've already posted about my MRI shock and neuro situation...appreciated all of the responses! Now I have a 3 week wait until I see the new neuro. I'd like to post a question about symptoms because in all of the research I've been doing on my newly diagnosed cervical situation I can't find any information that pertains to one of my symptoms. I never know what I'll feel like when I wake up in the morning..some days I feel good without any pain and other days I wake up with foot burning and pain, hands burning, sometimes numbness in one limb or another, and still having pins and needles a little when in sitting position. Overall most symptoms have lessened. Starting to get headaches in the back of my head, neck, and pain in shoulders and upper back. I can understand all of my symptoms except for the foot pain. Foot pain was my first symptom when this all started so suddenly. The first NS I saw said the pain can be any place from the neck down. Anyone else with foot pain who has a cervical stenosis or myelopathy? Thanks for any input!

• Yes, I also get foot pain in both of my feet (in my legs too). It is not constant, but I will suddenly get a pang of pain, sometimes stabbing, sometimes burning and sometimes like an electric shock. I also get cramps that pull my toes into very strange positions, especially at night. I also get very strong stiffening spasms throughout both feet, legs and through my back and abdomen.

I had nerve conduction studies and EMG done of my arms, and the doctor who did it said that he thought all my leg and foot symptoms were due to my neck problems.

As I had lumbar problems with leg and foot problems which led to lumbar fusion, it is hard to really know. I suppose it could be from lumbar problems at other levels adjoining the fusion. I don't know which would be worse.

You have got 3 weeks to really learn all you can about cervical spine problems and the possible treatments. As you read about them you will probably think of all sorts of questions that you will want to ask this new doctor.

I hope that all will go well and that you will find that he will be the surgeon that you trust to help to deal with your problems.
  • Jellyhall, you describe my foot pain exactly..I feel almost like it's a cramping and burning of the tendons in my feet and my toes feel like they're cramping too. I tried to explain how it feels to my husband and it just sounded odd to him. And mine isn't constant either, just bad the last two days and off and on other days. When I think back to the last six months I also had some episodes of almost stretching/spasming in my back and abdominal muscles like what you've had. And my two smallest toes of my right foot are always cramping and painful...geez...I'm thinking too it must all be related to my neck even tho I have two bulging discs in the lower back. Sounds like we have similar symptoms...I know you told me before why your surgery was postponed..I hope your doctors can come to a conclusion and you won't have to wait very long. And yes, I'm spending this time until my appt. reading all that I can about cervical problems and surgeries. My question list for the NS is growing...
    Thanks for your response, I feel better that someone else is having the same kind of symptoms so I can think it's my neck issue causing it, just sorry that you're going thru this too.

• I suggest that you start preparing a symptom list too to show your surgeon.

Record things like;

where the pain is - try to be exact (I find putting my hand on the pain helps me to locate where it is) as that can indicate which nerve, if any, is causing the pain

What activity, if any, causes the pain

Is there something you can do (apart from meds) that can help with the pain

How frequently do you get the pain

How long does it last (constant, throbbing, intermittant, fleeting etc.)

A description of the pain (burning, shooting, stabbing, tingling, numbness etc.)

Please do let me know what you find out, it may help me! :)

• I have numb feet and legs but my NS said he didn't think my problems were caused by my neck. The muscles on one leg are so crampy at times but that's also the same leg that has the possible torn meniscus so I don't know if it's from that or my neck

I also started to get headaches after the main pain subsided. And I still get the pins and needles and neck and arm pain if I sit for long on a hard surface or on the edge of my recliner, when I sleep in bed or when I get stressed. The leg symptoms are what really puzzle me-it's funny how it's the leg that is on the same side as my arm symptoms mainly are.

Good luck with the neuro!
  • Poochiewoochie, Saw my P.A. yesterday and she has had three cervical fusions and lumbar fusion and will be undergoing repairative re-fusion in February of her neck...she explained to me how the symptoms depend on what side of the disc is bulging, how it affects that side of the body and her symptoms from her neck issues go down her right arm and right leg. I mainly went to see her yesterday just to discuss my symptoms while I'm waiting for my NS appt. in 3 weeks. She told me yes, my neck problems can cause symptoms in the feet and legs and so did the 1st neuro I saw. Like you I get pins and needles when I'm in the sitting position but not constantly, and sometimes stabbing pains all over. I'm thinking that everybody's symptoms are different and varying because the nervous system is so big and complex and symptoms depend on the location of the pinching or pressure on the cord and corresponding nerves. I got a muscle relaxer from her and hope that my neck and shoulder blade pain will be better...hope your knee gets better!
  • Jellyhall...thought I replied to you but I don't think I did..Yes, I started my symptom list when I made my appt. with the 2nd neuro...it is ever growing. When I notice something I write it down! My P.A. has gone to this doctor and she said he spent lots of time with her and did a very thorough exam on her (she has a long history of cervical fusions from a car accident) and she was very pleased with him. So hopefully I won't have to talk very quickly like I did with the last guy. :(...
  • My NS said he didn't think it was causing my problems so that means he can't rule it out. I have central cord compression at c5-6 and at c4-5 it's to the right I believe. That explains why I mainly have problems on the right side I guess. But the central cord compression at C5-56 narrows the spinal canal to 5 mm(it's supposed to be over 14 mm) My NS said that was the level that needed to be addressed and he said he would also to the other since that would help my arm pain.

Last night when I was washing my hair and my head was back a got a weird headache in the lower part of my head and it felt like there was some kind of pressure from fluid buildup. It was WEIRD. I've been getting a lot of headaches lately.

Muscle relaxers and pain meds never helped me.
  • I never had leg or foot problems with my cervical issues, just arms and upper back, but I wanted to refer you to the FAQ section where there are a couple of posts that lists questions to ask your surgeon. You might want to check that area out - it may contain some questions that you haven't thought of yet.

Take care,
  • I am also suffering from neck pain problem. It is may be because of sitting on chair continuously. I hope your post will help me to get some help for me about neck pain.