Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Gabapentin/Neurontin -new medication. (semi-duplicate)

meg101mmeg101 Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:59 AM in Pain Medications
My Orthopeadic doctor sent me to a Pain doctor, my ortho doc wants to see if this pain doc can help me, if he can't i have to go back to my ortho doc. The pain doc has done 2 epidural cortisone shots in my back on both sides of my L5, and i have the 3rd shot coming up next week. The Pain doc put me on Flexeril... Did not work... So he put me on Gabapentin. I was just wondering does Gabapentin work? and has anyone ever herd of it?

Unfortunally... my back is not really feeling any better :(

I just started Gabapentin today... so we will see.
I'm 24 years old, I have had back problems since I was 17...

June 6th 2012 (I was 20 years old) On my L4/5 I got a Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) with 4 pedicle screws, 2 rods, and 2 cages.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi

I am on Gabapentin and it has helped me a lot.
    As i understand it, it is for nerve pain.

I had a discectomy for L5 about 5 years ago and am awaiting an mri as i think it may have re herniated.
    I have lower back and left leg pain. The Gabapentin helps with the nerve pain in leg but does not seem to help with back pain. I researched the drug on web and it says it only helps about a 3rd of users and can take about 2 weeks to start working, althought i must say it helped me straight away, i find it brilliant. Hope it works for you. Let us know.
    Good Luck.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    Gabapentin / Neurontin is used primarily for the treatment of seizures, neuropathic pain, and hot flashes.

Basically designed to deal with nerve pain and not used as a general pain medication.

Another similar medication that you might have heard about is Lyrica.

I have been on both medications. Initially Lyrica. After a dosage increase, I had some very negative reactions, so that we need to stop Lyrica all together.

I've been on Gabapentin/Neurontin now for several years. Initially a dosage of 300mg a day, then working its way to 2600mg a day and now, I am on a fixed dosage of 600mg in the afternoon and 600mg at night. I have had very good results with this.

To me, its something worth trying especially when your doctor suggests it.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com