Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ian_wiian_w Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I had surgery on 21st Dec 2011 (last week). I am 47 years old next week.

I had ACDF C6/C7 but the surgeon also says there is compression at C5/C6 but has not operated on this part.

Am I expecting to much as I still have numbness at times in my fore arm and 3 fingers as well as more pains than I had before I had the operation. The numbness is a different numbness to what I had before the Op if that makes sense? I also suffer from L3/L4 L4/L5 and L5/L6 pain for which I have RF treatment about once a year but since the OP on my neck the L region seems to be a bit better, is this possible?

In the real world could I go back to work in 6 weeks?

Thanks in advance for any replies.......

• You are only 1 week post op... It is too early to tell. Nerve damage can take time to heal, I have heard things like if you still have the numbness after 9 months or a year, it is permanent.

We all like to think that surgery is a quick fix. I learned that it is not.

As for back to work in 6 weeks... What is your job? I am a restaurant manager which is a very physical job. I went to work after 2 months, I wish I would have taken off longer but I managed. If it was a desk job I think I could have gone back sooner. Remember this is your body and it takes time to heal. If you are in the USA and you qualify for family medical leave you can have up to 12 weeks off (Paid if you have short term disability).

Please do not freak out at this stage. One week post op is nothing. I honestly barely remember the first couple weeks post op. Of course you have different and more pains now that is normal. Take your pain meds and if you have muscle relaxers take them too. If you don't have any ask for some, they helped me a lot during the first month or so.

Good luck and keep us updated, feel free to private message me if you have any questions.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I had different pain sometimes after my ACDF, and it was definitely worse shortly after the surgery for a while. The first two weeks were the toughest. Then I slowly felt better but it is a long process...pay attention to what your body is telling you.

Happy birthday!

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thank you very much for your replies.

Thanks Karen for the Birthday Wish x