Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Geez, I didnt even realize

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Matters of the Heart
We all have had various things in life we have had to deal with after having spinal problems, surgery and then chronic pain.

I have tend to put the pain and discomfort things behind me. It is what it is and I can do whatever I can to make things as comfortable as I can. And that works.

But, its those not so obvious things that creep up on us, at least for me.

During the holiday, some of my son's friends stopped by to visit us. Havent seen them for perhaps a year. When they left, they told me son, that I really have aged!

I talked to my wife about this and since she sees me on a regular basis, its hard to make an opinion on that.

But we took out some photos from past Christmas's. 2006, 2007,etc through this year. WOW! I have aged and aged so much. From some salt/pepper hair in 2007 to 100% gray now.
From a sign of a devilish grin before to a more docile look.

That all sort of hit me hard... Not that I care about vanity or having to be Mr GQ. But I've tried to care about my appearance and try to look the best I can. I still do that, but the years of chronic pain has taken its toll.

I know I can reverse what the beast did to me, so I really need to work harder on doing better things ...

- Eating better (less meats, more veggies )
- Less coffee, more tea
- Less alcohol ( of course that does not include wine )
- More exercise

I cant stop the steam roll of what chronic pain has done, but I do know I can give it a damm good run for its money.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Give it hell Ron. I think you can put the brakes on. But you can't reverse it. What's done is done.
    When I get out of the shower. I have to walk buy two full length mirrors. And I do not know that guy...........I wish I could avoid it. NOT POSSIBLE!
    Jim X(
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Its not looking old, Its called more distinguished looking with age,

You cant avoid it unless you willing to have cosmetic surgery like many of the stars,

You look at most of the old stars and they have the same wax museum face after multiple face lifts, Do you realy want that look as if it looks like your face is pressed up against a glass window,.? Lol

They pull there faces up so many times they have to wear the skin in a pony tail,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,375
    My brother - sister-in law and two nieces stopped by to visit on a trip from their home in Kansas.

My brother usally has something to say about me ... usually along the lines of "Gee - you look like crap"

Well his comment this time was that "I look like the twin brother of House".

I guess it was the scraggly beard, cane, thin and lankiness, and sunkken eyes and generally pissy additude had something to do with it!

If only I could master that cheeky british accent!!

The happiest of New Years for you and your family -
    and our functionally dysfunctional family here on the net.

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• I was at a social funtion a couple weeks ago and one of my classmates from school came up and said God, Gary you look like hell. That's when I realized that he was waiting tables and I was the one being served by his tray of snacks. I guess God got him back before I even had a chance to say anything!! And to add insult to injury, he looked just as old or older than me.
  • What's hair?
    I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
  • I gave up putting on mascara years ago because my eyesite has gone so downhill that I'd need one of those super magnification mirrors and I can't imagine having to look at my face 10x magnified. Ack!

But, I have earned every line on my face, every gray hair on my head and every scar on my body. Battle wounds? Maybe, but I've won those battles, earned the results and they're my badges of courage and sustainability!

• Well I've been coloring my hair for years so nothing wrong with changing the color back to what you want it to be. I know I have dark circles that never go away but I wear mineral make up powder and I know some men wear it also to even out the color and hide little imperfections so nothing wrong with that if you want to look better for your own self.

I've had dermabrasion surgery done for scars twice when I was in my late 20's & 30's and did it for myself so do what ever you need to make yourself feel better. Fighting the beast is what we have to do daily. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hair dye and make up goes a LONG way in disguising just about everything… A little nip and tuck here and there doesn’t hurt matters either. Guys just don’t have that option. I feel like I look like hell when I roll out of the rack in the mornings – but by the time I have my make up on and hair done, I look pretty damn good. Tis’ a painful process and one that I probably won’t put so much effort into once I retire and don’t have to be out dealing with people everyday. I’m sure I’ll still be fairly vain and wear it, but it won’t have to be perfect – maybe…
  • I have noticed myself how much my looks have aged since my injury :(

I have 5 grandkids (and 3 step grandkids) and when I had 2 GK (before injury) people always thought I was their mom and was shocked to hear I was their Nana.

NOW (about 9 yrs after injury) when I say I have 8 GK, there is nothing said about how I am too young to have 8 ......sigh

I know it is the pain that has aged me. I do care but at the same time I don't. Well I try not to, as there is little if anything (other then to cover it up with make up, etc.) that I can do about it.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I'm far from old but back problems have aged me. I've found the best cure for me has been loosing weight. My goal is to work up to a strength to be able to lift weights. I watched a documentary a few years back and lifting weights can take 10- 20 years off an 80 year old. Most of us think that by then it's too late but they saw the improvements in many people. Obviously something high impact like that will take a lot of work to get up to but it's the most proven thing I've found to reduce aging.
  • 35-year-old Caucasian female, older appearing than her stated age.

As the first line to the notes from my original consult. I had been dealing with pain for three years at that point and I had always looked younger than my age before my leg started hurting. I wanted to swear when I saw that! What?! No way could that possibly be...

So my boyfriend and I pulled out the photo albums and sure enough. What the heck happened to me was all I could think. Then I realized the pain and lack of sleep had taken even more of a toll then I realized. It's unreal to think we can age so much in such a short amount of time. Of course, this entire process is pretty surreal. The pain, frustration, lack of dignity and respect in the health care industry. Just makes sense it would attack our outward appearance also I guess. This keeps up though I'm gonna be 40 looking like I'm 80!

But grrr... I hate it! Well at least I'm gonna be 40 and rollin around in a wheelchair and able to feel mens butts up because they'll just think I'm old and senile! ;)
  • Well i am looking at.my Mayo records from 1991.

It says 30 year old male dumb and ugly looking for his age, hmmmm!
    Wonder what they ment by that,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,