Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed ALIF going for a PLIF 1/10/12 ?????

Renee23RRenee23 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi. I have posted only a few times but read almost every day. On 12/19/09 I had an ALIF cadaver bone, plate, cage and screws L4/L5. Pain never got any better in my back but I got horrific pain in my left leg as an added bonus!

Original NS said you need to go to PM and get a neurostim implanted but I decided to get another opinion before..
Saw an OS who did flexion xrays and a CT and found that the fusion never took. Why the NS didnt see this or "say" he saw it I dont even want to know or even care at this point.

OS is using bone from my hip and rods.

My questions are:
What do they do with the screws plate and cage from the first surgery? Can they remove them posteriorly?

Can/will they use the same incision in my back that they did the laminectomy through?

What holds the bone from my hip inplace?

I am making myself physically sick from thinking about this. I have never had this fear of anything but knowing how awful it was the first time is all I can think about!!

Thanks for reading and hoping someone can answer my ??'s

• Hi, I just had a plif almost three weeks ago L5-S1, first surgery, had a ryzotomy? not sure on spelling there, however, I'm still having the same symtops as before, I can hopefully answer some of your questions, On me the used two spacers, metal of some type, they scrape the bone from your pelvis and put it inside the spacers, which are also called "cages" this is inserted between the vertabrae, then they put two rods, one on each side of the area of the spacers. I hope this helps some, and I can definately relate to being physically sick! Stress and worry is so bad, but hard to get away from in our situation. I just keep telling myself that it'll get better with time, sometimes I believe myself! anyway, good luck and it sounds like your new doctor is thorough, which is always a good sign!