Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 level fusion posterior cervical foraminotomy with post op paresthesiai

PerseusPPerseus Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just had a posterior cervical foraminotomy with revision fusion at C5-6 and fusion at C4-5. Prior to surgery I only had slight numbness in half my index finger and half my thumb. My thumb eventually improved where I only had numbness in my index finger.

After surgery in recovery a awoke and noticed that my right arm was not responding to my commands and it was numb from my shoulder to my fingertips. My doc didn't realize how bad it was and initially thought it was minor. I kept calling and explaining loss of function. My doc was on vacation. I met with the PA who seemed somewhat shocked and kept repeating nuero testing. I have lost about 75% of my strength and my arm does not respond to my commands. I have not had a stroke but it acts like I have with a mind of its own. Their plan is to see me every 3 weeks for assessment.

My orthopedic surgeon does not want to do any neuro testing for about 4 more weeks but I think it is important to set a baseline so that we will be able to determine how and if I improve. He thinks that there was a big nerve stretch at C5 that resulted in this temporary nerve damage or "paralysis". I have an appoitment next week with a neurosurgeon for an eval and will see what he recommends. I don't want to sit around for weeks not doing anything and find out that I could have preserved function if I had done exercises.

I am terrified that I will be paralyzed and that I am disabled

• any changes?
    I broke my neck 7 months ago and had an anterior and posterior repair. I dont know if I was numb before surgery since I was in tramua and medicated. However I am numb on both hands since my accident. ring and pinky and tops and bottoms of hands. Not as severe as you. but it does sound like nerve issue. I had hip surgery in 2004 and they crushed my peroneal nerve and it was horrible pain and they diagnosed it as RSD. It got better from the horrible pain. However i still have issues. You may also want to see a pain management doc. They will most likely want to do Nerve Conduction tests