Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My head feels so heavy...

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi my friends.

Wow, I watched football at a bar today with friends and my head feels like it weighs at much as a bowling ball. I've taken care of feeding the dog, walked him this morning, didn't have much rest time today and now I'm wishing I could just have a neckectomy or just go to bed at 7pm.

I'm stuck in my recliner, hubby understanding and cooking a pizza, head resting on a pillow, pain meds and relaxers taken - I just hate this.

Sorry, I'm usually here to support, but feel so physically down right now and wondering what tomorrow will bring.

Take care all and have a Good New Year.

• I feel that way everyday. I find the best thing to do is try to get as comfortable as possible and stay there. just relax and eat some yummy yummy pizza. If you have any luck today you can find a good old movie on t.v. to go with that pizza. Also I find that going to bed at 7pm is not to early in the world of pain. I hope you feel better by morning. Take it easy and dont over do it.
  • I too know the feeling. Sometimes a heating pad at the base of my neck helps. Place it so that it hits the shoulders too.

I hope Tony is pampering you. It's been a year now since I met the two of you. It is your turn to come my way for a visit.

Do you go back to work tomorrow? I hope your neck feels better by then.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    It is funny you say you were at a bar because believe it or not, the hardest and the worst thing I can do is sit in a bar stool. It screws my neck up every time! Ive learned that if there is no other chair available but a bar stool I go home or stand the entire time. Maybe it is the angles it puts our bodies in when we sit in one. Were you sitting on a bar stool? I hope you feel better soon!!
  • Mixing beer and whiskey can make your head feel heavy, Stick with good whiskey not the cheap stuff. Git-ir-done. Hope you feel beter, Happy. Newyear,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • When I go out, I usually sit where I can rest my head on the wall or something. Not yesterday. I sat up, stood, walked around, etc. I also jumped up and screamed and yelled at my team a lot. Just holding up my head too long is obviously not a good thing.

Hubby did pamper me - I just sat in my recliner last night, watched a bowl game (I'm getting a little sick of football, even though my beloved Broncos made it into the playoffs, albeit backed in thanks to the Chargers), had my big, comfy blanket on and hubby served me my pizza. I didn't think about the heating pad, Cindy - shame on me. Luckily, I have today off then start the long haul through the rest of winter with no holidays for a while (well, we do get President's Day off).

Yes, Susan, I was sitting on a bar stool and should have backed it against the wall to lean back and rest my head. The problem is I can't stand for very long without pain in my lumbar, so that's not a good alternative. Thank goodness, the holidays are over and I won't be doing any of that again.

Donna, I am feeling better today, but having a few spasms in my upper back. Not really anything new, but a bit more than usual. I'll be taking a walk with my little Wally this morning so that might help.

Alex, Alex, Alex. I guess the cheap whiskey and beer I drank could've been the culprit. :sick: Nah, I only had two beers - no whiskey, can't stand the stuff. But thanks for the warning. If I ever decide to drink whiskey, I'll make sure it's very expensive.

• I was also going to suggest that you sit in a recliner with a support cushion behind your neck. I find that helps me and do often use a heated wheatbag for warmth.

The walking may well help somewhat too. I hope that you did feel better afterwards.

Another thing that may help you; if I am sitting on a seat without back support, I find that sitting on a Back Joy helps me. I know that is has been mentioned several times by people who love them. That prompted me to get one, and it has been worth it.

Feel better very soon! >:D<

• Hi Cathie...
    Hope you're feeling better! Poor thing - I know it's so hard to take it easy and we forget how 'delicate' we are! I have probably been doing too much myself, but watched my guys 'take down Christmas' and clean the house today while I sat with my BGS on and paid bills. :)

Praying right now that you are feeling better and will be fine for work tomorrow.

gentle hugs,
  • You have been so supportive of everyone, you should give yourself a break. We all need to learn what will cause us pain and when to say enough. I went to a New Year's eve party and thought I wouldn't last more than an hour or so because I was sitting in a hard kitchen chair. It really hurt me and pain levels were up. I was able to switch to a couch and I stayed until after midnight (first time I stayed up past midnight in a few years).

I'm glad you're feeling better! You deserve to be pampered.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi Cathie,

Sorry you're not feeling so well! You are one of the nicest and most supportive people here, and we "have your back, too!"

• Hi Cath. I've had a cervical fusion of C5-7 that did very well in about 2000. That was symptom I had before surgery. I felt like I couldn't hold my head up sometimes. I never had it again until recently, after having 2 minor car accidents in a month. I am praying there is not something major going on. I also have had 10 lumbar surgeries, resulting then in both a Spinal Cord Stimulator and Intrathecal Morphine pump implants. They help so much for my lower back. The car wrecks seemed to have hurt my low back, too.

I have noticed since the MVA's that when I look down, I get this weird sort of flushed feeling. It's weird, not really dizzy. Has anyone ever had that? I work PT for a Chiropractor, who took xrays. He can see a problem with C4-5 with increased retrolisthesis from the previous xrays about 3 yrs ago, also from a car wreck.

Hope your fun was worth it. Sometimes I find having fun, even knowing I will pay for later is sometimes a necessity.
  • This is not very normal problem. I think you should concern your doctor. One of my friend is also feeling just like you. His head feels so heavy. He concern doctor. He is now treating this problem. Hope, you both will get relief from this problem.