Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ankylosis spondylitis?????

Rick TalbertRRick Talbert Posts: 1
edited 03/04/2015 - 2:44 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hello everyone. I have chronic upper back pain that seems worse after rest. In the mornings I have a hard time getting up and moving. Very stiff and sore. Seems worse on cold mornings. Essentially from the base of my neck to mid back. I have a lot of fatigue and my upper back often feels weak. I cannot sit or stand for more than 20 minutes without seeking some relief by either sitting down or standing. The pain lessens with movement and decreases as the workday progresses. I am most comfortable laying down. I am 35 years old male. I have some degree of spinal curvature that I have attributed to having a long torso and a hard working life. I am a farrier and have shod horses nearly every day for 15 years. I work on 12 to 15 horses a day 7 days a week. I only take a day off when the pain prevents me from getting up. Prior to becoming a farrier I had many injuries, I played 4 sports in high school, and I worked on a ranch from the time I was 12. I hauled hay on a hay crew at night and I broke and trained over 400 horses and had many bad falls. I rode 12 to 15 horses a day when I was not in school, and I was experiencing back pain by the time I was 18. I have tried many different back braces that resulted in only a minimal reduction in pain. I am the sole provider for a family of 5 and I always have to keep going though my wife is getting frustrated with me when I just can't go because of the pain, I am frustrated as well. Maybe I am just getting old. No insurance. And we live in a very rural area, no decent doctor within about 2 hours from here. People say I should go to a chiropractor or that I need to let my back rest. It gets worse with rest. Like rigamortis it starts to seize up. I know I have muscle knots in my back, especially on my right side between my spine and scapula, but I think there is more to it then just that. It has zapped my physical energy and strength but I feel fine as long as I am recumbant. I read about this ankylosis spondylitis and I wonder if anyone here knows anything about it. I read that it is linked to an eye problem. I have had severe headaches most of my life. Cluster migraines that escalated to a rare sort that causes my left eyelid to palsy and my left eye appears swollen from the pressure during a headache episode. Over the years these severe headaches have left a noticeable assymetry with my eyes and a slight palsy to my left eyelid. Maybe this is linked to the back, ... I don't know. I am hoping that this lengthy description will result in someone knowing exactly whats going on.
advertisement

Comments

• It doesn't sound as though you have had any CT scans, x-rays or MRIS, which would be a good place to start; is your doctor aware that your pain is severe as it is? If he/she isn't aware, it would be a good idea to book an appointment and take in a timeline as to when the pain started, what makes it worse, what makes it better, etc.

Ankylosing spondylitis is a type of arthritis, and most doctors do bloodwork to see if patients have the HLA-B27 antigen, which is often an indicator of some type of spondyloarthritis.

Your symptoms could be one of many, many things, and it could even be that your headaches are not related to your back pain. I know how frustrating back pain is, but your doctor should be the first person you consult. If you are looking for some sort of treatment, a physiotherapist might be a better option than a chiropractor at this point.

Good luck, Rick.

Tracy
  • The eye issue related to ankylosing spondylitis is iritis. You have done so much in your life thus far, and some that could have caused back pain. I wouldn't go to a chiropractor if you haven't identified what is causing your issues. I have AS and have been told not to go to a chiropractor.

I hope there are services available that could assist you to get help.

If you want more information on AS, there are websites available.

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I was recently diagnosed with AS, but as Karen said, the eye issues have to do with inflammation in the eye, which is known as iritis. Based on your symptoms, your best bet would be to see a rheumatologist, as they are typically the ones who diagnose AS.

Best of luck to you!
  • Hi I am hoping someone has some insight or suggestions as to my pain issues. I was diagnosed with RA, Fibromyalgia, OA, and Reynauds about 4 yrs ago. About 2 months ago I began to experience what my rheumatologist described as a flare, I've had flares before but nothing like this. I have been experiencing chronic severe pain in my T-spine that radiates to my hips and is affecting my gait. Although I have chronic generalized pain from the RA, this is different, I have severe muscle spasms and weakness and cramping in my legs and feet. I have been on steroids for about 3 months and have seen a neurosurgeon to rule out C-spine injury through exam and MRI, neurologist to rule out MS, pain management for the pain since I cannot take pain killers due to allergy and intolerance to the drugs. PM has me starting hydro PT and I am going to try acupuncture in a few days, hoping something alleviates the pain. I realize autoimmune diseases are difficult to diagnose, but am becoming concerned as my condition deteriorates. I have not been able to work for the last two months and am hoping someone with similar situation has gotten some help and could offer suggestions.
    Deb
advertisement